On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 10:07 AM,  <hans...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Jaap Karssenberg
> <jaap.karssenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The distinction between actionable and non-actionable is that
>> actionable tasks are tasks that you can execute right now, while
>> non-actionable tasks maybe open, but have a pre-condition before they
>> can be acted upon.
>>

> Thanks for the explanation
>
> However, all this seems to go against my KISS preferences. If I'm just
> brainstorming I might make all kinds of lists of "stuff", but if I put a
> checkbox in front of it that means "do ASAP". I can use the bangs for
> urgency, dates for deadlines, that's fine, but I personally don't waste time
> organizing what I call my "backlog", things I know I don't have time for
> yet, and I certainly don't want them cluttering up my next actions lists,
> AFAIC they aren't even actions yet, just part of my project notes.
>
> When I'm reviewing a project and see things I want to "activate" in your
> terms, that's when I put in the energy to transform it from "stuff" into
> broken down tasks, and the checkbox indicates which are ready to get done.
>
> It's your project, but allow me to please express that most task/project
> management tools end up requiring the user to fit the tool's methodology.
> What I like about Zim as such a tool is its flexibility so I can use it as I
> want to.

That will not change. Having more complex controls does not force you
to use them. So nothing in zim will prevent you to keep your current
way of working.

I agree that the more complex features should be non-obtrusive for
users that only use the basic set.

> Regarding the UI issue, you'd have room for more "filters" if you just
> replace that long string with a small icon to represent "Actionable" (maybe
> a graphic [A!] ?), and had similar "real checkboxes" as I suggested to
> de/select the three states of the "checkbox-back in the source text", and
> the user could toggle each to get the combination filter they wanted.
>
> IMO the default when Task List is opened should remain
>   Actionable-only off
>   Open on
>   OK off
>   NOK off

I agree, but I'm still of the opinion that this belongs in a drop down
box. I deinitely want a bit of text, maybe with icons next to it. The
dropdown allows for more options while still giving quick access to
the function,

Regards,

Jaap

P.S. you keep dropping the mailing list from your replies - please use
"Reply to All", thanks