On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 1:51 AM, Charles Medcoff <cmedc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Just getting started with the idea of extending zim.  I’m a professional
> programmer, but my python a bit rusty and no experience with gtk+.
>

> All I wanted to do to start is add some custom ‘hot keys’ for editing
> lists/bullets so that it behaves like one note.  I’ve grabbed the source
> tarball and I’ve got a working environment with PyCharm.  I can run/debug
> the code. It looks like the code I need to hook into is the
> do_key_press_event method of the TextView class found in gui/pageview.py.
>

> Any further details on how to hook specific keys, or any other advice
> appreciated.

If you want keybindings specific for the editor window that is indeed
the place to look. There is a different place for menu items with
accelerators. So depends a bit on what actions you want exactly.

Afraid that the do_key_press method is a bit low level and crowded. If
you want something specific for list items, we might need to refactor
a bit and split off a sub-method that handles keys specifically for
lists.

Regards,

Jaap