Changing line 156 in zim/applications.py:

p = subprocess.Popen(argv, cwd=cwd, stdout=open(os.devnull, 'w'),
stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

to:

if os.name == 'nt':
    # http://code.activestate.com/recipes/409002/
    startupinfo = subprocess.STARTUPINFO()
    startupinfo.dwFlags |= subprocess.STARTF_USESHOWWINDOW
    p = subprocess.Popen(argv, cwd=cwd, stdout=open(os.devnull, 'w'),
stderr=subprocess.PIPE, startupinfo=startupinfo)
else:
    p = subprocess.Popen(argv, cwd=cwd, stdout=open(os.devnull, 'w'),
stderr=subprocess.PIPE)

stops popup windows, and works great. As it should ;)