Thanks Jaap, I tested adapting that for a possible typo and, so far,
the most I've accomplished is to have directories open in my Web
browser, and .txt files open in my text editor ;->

First of all, was the plus sign '+' a typo, perhaps resulting from
your e-mail client?:

> "zim+file:///usr/share/zim/manual" to urls.list and it should work.

Also I'm running from the source tree, more specifically, pulled from
bzr. So what I've actually tested, with and without a trailing slash,
was adding this line to the end of urls.list (realpath is
/home/jayseye/Zim/bzr/zim/data/urls.list):

zim file:///home/jayseye/Zim/bzr/zim/data/manual

Also a working example of the link syntax might help, in case that's
where I went wrong. Tested so many variations that I'm reluctant to
post any, and thus confuse folks any further here ;->

Thanks again,
Marc