Kurt

I had looked at autokey before but it didn't work out of the box (I am running Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity) but upon your recommendation I stuck with it - I needed to edit the Unity whitelist to allow Autokey to place itself in the task bar.

So I simply set it to generate a bunch of "-" which is all I wanted. I now have a hot key and an abbreviation that does just what I need.

Thanks!

Chris