Thanks Jaap. The command successfully printed out a date and time. However,
is the calendar.py and datetimetz.py modules included in the Zim package
different from the defaults in the python package? Should I be directing
python to the Zim modules as opposed to the python defaults? If so, how? I
am not sure my "export PYTHONPATH ..." is doing that correctly.

Two potentially relevant insights from debug mode:

1. After opening Zim with "python2.6 ./zim.py -D":

"DEBUG: Set XDG_DATA_HOME to /Users/ambrya/.local/share"

There is no "XDG" in the above directory. The only files in this directory
are:
zim/templates/Default.txt
zim/templates/Journal.txt

2. After creating a new page:

"ERROR: Error in strftime "%A %d %B %Y
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/ambrya/source/zim-0.59/zim/templates.py", line 742, in
__call__
     return string.decode(locale.getpreferredencoding())
LookupError: unknown encoding:"

After line 742, there is comment that I don't understand and am not sure is
relevant:
                                # strftime returns locale as understood by
the C api
                                # unfortunately there is no guarantee we
can actually
                                # decode it ...

Thoughts? Thanks so much for your help, Jaap.

Best, Alex