Jaap,

Thanks for the response. I suspect you are correct but have not verified this yet. SpiderOak can be configured to exclude files using "wildcards" (e.g. *.tmp), except for the new "SpiderOak Hive" feature recently added. This works like Dropbox, but if I set up a 'Sync' for any other folder I can set a wildcard, so please tell me what extension to use and I'll see if that helps (and turn on -D to gather info).


See also my answers below...

Mark

On 09/05/2013 08:30, Jaap Karssenberg wrote:
I don't think what you describe is what is happening exactly. When updating links zim will open each page to be updated just once and write it immediately. Writes are done atomic, and if they fail there will be an explicit error. The only thing I would have to test is whether or not the error is caught properly and presented in an error dialog. But for sure you would see it in the debug output (zim -D). The interesting question of course is why would using spideroak result in failures while writing pages and how to make things more robust. What zim does when writing is generating a temporary file and then in an atomic action replace the target file with this temporary file. Maybe spideroak already tries to sync the temp file and by that blocks the replacement. In that case it would be helpful to know if spideroak has any configuration to exlcude certain file patterns.
ISSUE 2 - Index Confusion?
To test the above I made a complete copy of the notebook for SpiderOak to
synch across the two machines and left the original untouched. Once I
realised SpiderOak wasn't doing the job, I reverted Zim on both Linux and
Windows to open the original (untouched) notebook by default. When loading
on Windows the index pane was showing some of the errors that had occured on
the copy (i.e. orphan subpages). Re-generating the index cleared these, so
the issue appears to be that somehow Zim used the index from the SpiderOak
copy when opening the clean, untouched notebook (in an entirely different
location).

[snip]
I'm confused what you mean by "the root folder was the same, but it
was located in a different folder" - was the notebook location the
same or not ?
Sorry for the ambiguity over "root" folder.

I made a complete copy of my Zim notebook folder tree in a new location. So I had two identical copies of my notebook, one inside my "Dropbox" folder, and one inside my "SpiderOak Hive" folder. I pointed Zim at the latter to do my tests and found the problems. Then reverted to the original.


When you have the "shared notebook" option, the cache is stored in a
temp file that is related to the location of the notebook. So yes, if
you completely replace a notebook it would still have the old index.
So there would be two identical copies of the index, which makes your first diagnosis seem the most likely (i.e. SpiderOak interfering with the temp file and Zim not reporting that in the UI).


_______________________________________________
Mailing list: https://launchpad.net/~zim-wiki
Post to     : zim-wiki@lists.launchpad.net
Unsubscribe : https://launchpad.net/~zim-wiki
More help   : https://help.launchpad.net/ListHelp

Reply via email to