For the "insert Symbol" plugin you can also define your own shortcuts. So
if you find yourself using "\Egrave" a lot  you can edit the config file
and define e.g. "\Eg" or even "\E" to insert this symbol.

I considered also supporting "\nnn" to insert values numerically, bit
decided against it because I can never remember all those codes myself, and
figured symbol names make more sense for this feature.

Regards,

Jaap