Jaap, thanks for your reply!

I'm on Zim Snapshot 728, but the issue still remains, because nothing has
changed. Besides, the name of some of my top-level notes is quite long, so
that it won't make any sense to show the full path with top-level notes
only, because the title of the sub-note won't be shown anyway.

Therefore I would appreciate a way to restore the old tag view, as an
option in the options menu of Zim.

Best!