Ringo,

You are correct, you can not set the background color in the config files.
What you could do is e.g. change the text color of the page headings, or
set a different font (comic sans for personal notes sure would get noticed).

You can not make a setting per notebook, but you can make a setting per
"profile". Then you assign the notebooks to these profiles using the
properties dialog.

Hope this helps,

Jaap