Yes, if you use the attach option to insert an image (as image or as link) the image will be copied to the attachment folder (which is a sub-folder at the same level as the note text file and has the same name as the note. If you enable the 'Attachment browser' plugin (go to menu: edit: preferences), you can open a pane in Zim that shows you all attachments for the open note. See for more information go to (the same pages are in the help file):

http://zim-wiki.org/manual/Help/Attachments.html
http://zim-wiki.org/manual/Plugins/Attachment_Browser.html

Paulo