Some progress with the revert. I give some details, in case others also want to
revert to an old version.
To uninstall a python package installed via setup.py, follow instructions
below. Basically, this advises re-downloading the package files (if needed),
then re-running setup.py with a flag so it will tell what files it installed
and where, then deleting those files. See
https://ofswiki.org/wiki/Uninstalling_setup.py_install
I did that, and indeed my earlier zim install ran. However, the delete (as it
is wont to do), leaves some vestigial empty directories (or trees) in
/usr/local/share/zim. (By 'trees' I mean there may be some directories with no
non-directory descendants.) So (recursively) delete those (or just rename them).
You might also have to delete (or rename)
~/.cache/zim/notebook-usr_local_share_zim_manual.
(BTW, of course it's best to do this without zim running. Also, if you
uninstalled older versions of zim, you'll have to reinstall them. Might even
need uninstall then reinstall to get a clean setup.)
(One other thing: you may want to prevent your software updating process from
updating zim. I found putting a 'hold' on zim didn't work. So I took out the
zim repository from the list the updating process checks.)