I don't have a solution, but I share this issue on one (debian) of two
(other=archlinux) zim installs using the same notebook (synced with
syncthing).

On the problematic debian install, I tried opening the notebook with a
fresh-from-git version of zim and had the issue. So, maybe it is an issue
in ~/.local/share/zim/

I didn't spend too much time on this as the work around is easy. when
completing a link with cmd+L, start with  :

for inserting a date link with the calendar plugin, I use a modified version
<https://github.com/WillForan/zim-plugin-nowbutton> of the now-button plugin