I hope we bomb the right people, also. However, it isn't always easy to
draw the line in the right place. Was the bombing of Hiroshima and
Nagasaki justified? Must we have lost one million American soldiers
invading Japan, just to keep from wiping out 300,000 Japanese people?

I think we have been rather patient with Hussein. He stopped the
inspections 4 years ago, and we haven't done anything about it, yet. We
still wouldn't be doing anything about it, had the WTC not been toppled,
killing thousands. If Hussein were just a big bully in the neighborhood,
we would probably leave him alone. However, he is one that historically
has shown he will use bio-chem warfare on peoples (Iran and the Kurds).
He is known to have been seeking nuclear weapons. During the last war, he
sought a burnt-earth strategy, setting fire to the Kuwaiti oil fields.

Hussein may not be directly involved in the past attacks, but is part of
a growing regional problem. Given what we know of history, if a new Nazi
party arose in Germany, and Jews started disappearing into concentration
camps; would you suggest we wait until they attacked us to do something
about it?  I know America historically has striven to stay aloof,
especially in war. However, we now live in an age of mass destruction.
Would you suggest we wait until one of our major cities is left
uninhabitable by a dirty bomb? The fall of the WTC damaged our economy,
extending the recession for over a year. Imagine the economic damage if
NYC, LA, or some other major city were evacuated and left empty for years
while we cleaned up the radiation contamination. Is that what you are
suggesting we do?
I don't like the idea of having to invade Iraq. But I know that if we do,
most of the rest of the Arab world will quietly submit, and back off from
the idea of suicide bombers and mass destruction. If we can accomplish
that ideal, then we have won a major victory. Secondly, we may succeed in
bringing democracy into the region, as we did in Europe and Japan after
WWII.

Regardless of their current problems, Afghanis are better off now than
they were a year ago. At least women can have a life, and soccer fields
are for playing in-not for executions....
K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JWR:
I just hope we strafe and bomb the right guy.  Are we certain that Saddam
Hussein was behind the incidents that you mention?  It would be a shame
if we clobber Peter for something that Paul did.
I wonder how many Americans would be in favor of this war if it were
between two evenly matched opponents?
 Your friend and brother,
John W. Redelfs, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!