At 09:53 AM 9/29/02 -0600 Marc A. Schindler favored us with:
>That was his lesser known role, but the one that brought in the bread and butter --
>an economist who specialized in education. But I'll bet not 1 Canadian in 10
>remembers him for that. They just remember him for his famous stories like the time
>he withdrew all his money out of the bank. He was a kind of Will Rogers type.

I just had the most phenomenal coincidence occur.  I was trying to find the Institute
manual on that part of the Old Testament that has Isaiah which we are starting the
study of in Gospel Doctrine class.  Digging though some old crates I accidentally
knocked one of the over onto the floor.  It was filled with old files which I put back
in the crate, but then I say a couple of papers still on the floor.  One of them was
the exact Stephen Butler Leacock piece I was searching the Internet for last night.
I'm sure I haven't seen this file in over 20 years, and I had forgotten I have it.
Here is the part I was looking for:

"What I find wrong is the stark division now existing between the years of formal
education and entry into the work of life.  Education has become to a great extent a
mere acquirement of a legal qualification to enter a closed profession, in place of
being a process undertaken for its own sake.  All that is best in education can only
be acquired by spontaneous interest; thus gained it lasts and goes on.  Education
merely imposed as a compulsory prerequisite to something else finishes and withers
when its task is done.  Real education should mean a wonderful beginning, a marvellous
initiation, a thorough 'smattering,' and life will carry it on.

"A part of the present difficulty is that our school and college curriculum in its one
thousand years of development from the church schools of the Middle Ages has taken on
a mass of subject matter beyond the range of any one mind.  We have not yet learned to
condense to useful essentials the things beyond study the study in detail.  The best
part of any subject is the general view, the thorough smattering just mentioned, that
carries to the individual the results for which others have given the work of their
lives.  The outline of the world's history can occupy half an hour, or half a session,
or half a century.

"We have further encumbered the curriculum with the attempt to teach things that
cannot be imparted by classroom work---too practical for anything but actual practice,
or too vague and general for anything but general reflection."

(From the Preface to EDUCATION EATING UP LIFE by Stephen Butler Leacock)
He signs his name

Stephen Leacock
Professor Emeritus McGill University, B.A. (Toronto), Ph.D. (Chicago), Litt.D. (Brown,
Dartmouth and Toronto), LL.D. (Queen's and McGill), D.C.L. (Bishop's)

The man had spent his life in school only to discover that many of the most important
lessons in life have to be learned outside of academia.

John W. Redelfs                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against
principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the
darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in
high [places]. (Ephesians 6:12)
"All my opinions are tentative pending further data." --JWR