In today's Edmonton Journal, 03/10/02

Background: Lorne Gunter is a right-wing columnist for the Southam
chain, which is okay -- I can read commentary by people of any stripe if
it's got some redeeming social value like wit, humour, knowledge,
what-have-you. But Gunter is a "foil" -- he's dumb as a rock, in my
humble opinion, and seems to compose his columns by surfing the Internet
indiscriminately and, while not necessarily plagiarizing, at least does
little original thought and research, and this makes him an easy target
for critics like me. In fact, I have a theory that Southam Press keeps
him for that very reason; kind of why CBC Sports keeps Don Cherry in
Coach's Corner on Hockey Night in Canada -- because the guy's a clown
and draws viewers/readers.

Anyway, with that background...

"Dead language would suit Gunter

"Alan Rutkowski suggests that in the name of multiculturalism, Lorne
Gunter's columns be printed in Albanian ('Multiculturalism doesn't
translate,' Letter, Oct. 1).

"I have what I feel is an even more useful idea: print them in Hittite.
Hittite is a dead language from what is now Turkey that hasn't been
spoken in thousands of years. since dinosaurs didn't speak (so far as we
know), Hittite might be the closest we could come to matching 'the
medium with the message' in this case.

"Marc A. Schindler, Spruce Grove"

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high
and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our
mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
authorís employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.