I think there's been enough exposure to reports from two respected reports now to
support my claim that the tests were a failure. You're free to disagree, but I'm
going to drop it. If you want a last word, be my guest.

Dan R Allen wrote:

> Marc:
> You didn't. As I said, this is from my understanding of the technology
> involved,
> which has come from other sources than the two articles we both cited.
>
> It's not hard to destroy a balloon with a shock wave. Even a bit of
> shrapnel
> would puncture it.
>
> Dan:
> Your understanding of the technology involved then is flawed. These tests
> were of a "hit-to-kill" vehicle. A shock-wave was never designed, planned,
> or expected in the test results. Destroying a decoy is a failure,
> destroying the booster interface is a failure, only striking the target is
> considered a success.
>
> Marc:
> It's not the visual aspects that are the issue, but the aerodynamical ones,
> and
> balloons behave differently than cones.
>
> Dan:
> In the environment that these intercepts are taking place aerodynamics are
> not an issue. The intercept is taking place _before_ the MIRV goes
> atmospheric. That's why the aerodynamic differences between the target and
> decoys are irrelevant.
>
> Marc:
> I didn't get that in either article -- I saw all the references to decoys
> and
> assumed that the MIRV had already released its payload. You don't have to
> wait to
> get to exoatmospheric levels to establish a good trajectory. The first few
> minutes are the critical ones, and it's at that point that you need this
> 3rd
> party information asap.
>
> Dan:
> Yes, I finally figured out that we were talking about two different things
> too. And you're right that you don't need to get to the coast phase to
> establish a good trajectory, but you can use that time to get your defenses
> in place.
> A missile attack involves three basic phases: boost, coast, and drop.
> Ideally you destroy a missile during the boost phase, before anything is
> deployed. The problem is that you might have destroyed a legitimate
> payload. The next phase is better because you now know exactly where that
> payload is headed, and where it will come down. It's also better because
> you can still catch it while all of the warheads are still in the same
> basket. The drop phase is the most difficult because not only do you have
> multiple warheads, but you also have to find these multiple, _small_ items
> against an increasingly "noisy" background.
> Just knowing the point of origin, and the type of booster provides an awful
> lot of intel without needing to know specifics about the payload. The
> trajectory will provide other types of knowledge.
>
> Marc:
> I realized that -- it works on infrared. But it still has to distinguish
> [...]

Marc A. Schindler

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."
--Michelangelo Buonarroti