Gary Smith wrote:

> Wait a minute!!!!  Capt Moroni lived under the Mosaic Law. Surely that
> command is what would apply to him. Besides, just because Christ
> fulfilled the Mosaic Law, does not mean he totally supplanted it. There
> are many things in the Law of Moses we still abide by: Ten Commandments,
> for instance.

Actually we abide by the Two Commandments.

> And wars of aggression were commanded by God. If something is commanded
> of God, like Nephi slaying Laban,

This was hardly a war, and was pre-Christ.

> does that command suddenly get
> supplanted by Christ's law? Would that mean that we should look upon
> Nephi's killing Laban as an evil act, since Christ told us to turn the
> other cheek and pray for those who despitefully use us?
>
> The Mosaic Law is a Terrestrial Law. It is a subset of the Celestial Law
> of Christ. It wasn't destroyed at Christ's coming, but just superceded.
> If God were to command a new Zion's Army to retake Independence, would
> you think it too Mosaic? Or would you just believe that whatever the Lord
> commands is what is in vogue.

D&C states clearly that if we follow his conditions, he'll fight out battles for
us.

> When Moses and Joshua led Israel to aggressive wars, the only reason God
> gave for it was that those nations had ripened in iniquity and He wanted
> them thrust out and totally obliterated: even women, children and
> animals. So exacting was this order that when Saul mercifully saved a
> king's life, Samuel hacked him to pieces to show obedience to God.  Who
> was doing right? Saul in mercy, or Samuel in obedience?
>
> As I mentioned in a previous post, Capt Moroni was involved in
> pre-emptive attacks. The Nephites, in their righteousness, attempted to
> drive the Gadiantons out. I know some on this list fear being involved in
> world wars, or world governments, but the reality is we can't allow the
> Gadiantons to grow out of control. Do I think we can stop Gadiantons? No.
> But I also believe that if we stand by as the wicked Nephites did, we
> will end up with a nation in decline/collapse.

But the Gadiantons weren't an external threat, but an internal threat. I think
you have the right to an aggressive war against the Montana Militia, for instance
;-)

> There is no question of the dangers of Saddam. Even Marc doesn't oppose
> his being toppled. So let's stop pretending that all wars of aggression
> are evil. They aren't. And in reality, this is NOT a war of aggression.
> We are at war with a difficult enemy. The best chance we have at slowing
> terrorists down is to fight those governments that support it. Pakistan
> is currently playing on our side, so until that changes, we need to pick
> our battles against out right enemies.

That I believe Saddam Hussein should be toppled does not lead, in my mind, to the
conclusion that we or you are the ones to do it.

> K'aya K'ama,

"The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too high and
falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving our mark."

solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the authorís employer,