At 01:13 AM 10/24/2002, Marc wrote:

Or put a more positive way: on another list recently we discussed a scripture in
Isaiah which specifically identifies Mt. Zion as Jerusalem, and how this appeared
to present a problem with the way it was used by Nephi. We talked a little bit
about typological approaches, or helical time, or prophetic future perfect, or
whatever you want to call it, but the question came up: did Isaiah necessarily
know what he was writing? I don't know, but I believe the door could be left open
to the possibility that he didn't know every consequence of what he wrote, or how
future prophets would interpret it in their own times. I was reminded of the
inscription on the lintel above the entrance to Confederation House, which is
today the home to the provincial legislature of our smallest province, Prince
Edward Island, but also home to the Charlottetown Conference which laid the
groundwork for confederation -- so C'Town is kind of like our counterpart to
Philadelphia, you might say, if I have the historical parallel right. At any
rate, the inscription reads, "They builded better than they knew."

I think prophets, being human, but guided by God, often build "better than they
know." But that's a speculation, thrown out just to provoke some meditation.
I believe that. Yes, Isaiah was both a scholar and a Prophet, and perhaps deliberately crafted the work to reflect the "learning of the Jews," but the more I study Isaiah the more I realize that his writings were not just his own. It is too perfect and too intricately crafted to be the work of human wisdom alone.

--
Steven Montgomery
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///