Here's your little second-hand chuckle for the day.

Ah, I feel sorry for those who can't get CBC Radio One. As I type this
I'm listening to a "Madly Off in All Directions*" concert the
Saskatchewan comedian John Elliott is giving in Pictou (pick-toe, not
pick-too), Nova Scotia, heart of bagpipe country (during tourist season
a real piper pipes you across the NB-NS border). He's been doing
imitations (like a British cop car turning corners. You have to be
there). But he says when he flew out to Halifax, the closest major
airport, he was going through security and another Nova Scotian was
ahead of him and got stopped because he had a fish hook in his carry-on
baggage, and yet they let him on with his pipes. "Which is capable of
inflicting more pain, I ask you?"

The highlight was an attempt to get the audience to do the guitar part
(with "da da da" singing) and he did the banjo part of "Duelling Banjos"
from "Deliverance." Absolutely hilarious (and he's pretty good on the
pipes, too). He said he realized it was unusual for a prairie boy to
play the pipes, but his Dad made him learn. Brett had wanted to learn
the electric guitar and play in a rock band but his Dad nixed the idea.
"Too noisy," he said. ;-)

Pipers were a necessary part of highland regiments during the war. They
drew fire away from the guys with rifles. Anything to shut them up....

Now he's doing whale calls on the bagpipes with the sound going through
a reverb. Actually very, very good, and funny, too. I wish I was there
actually watching.

...and now "the Bagpipe Blues."

I can't take it anymore. Ay hae to goo poot on me Amazin' Grrrace
Marching Bands Rrrregatta ('alifax '87) CD...

*taken from a famous humourous story by Stephen Leacock, the Canadian
counterpart to Mark Twain/Will Rogers, who was actually an academic in
his day job as a prof teaching economics and poli sci.

“We do not think that there is an incompatibility between words and
deeds; the worst thing is to rush into action before the consequences
have been properly debated…To think of the future and wait was merely
another way of saying one was a coward; any idea of moderation was just
an attempt to disguise one’s unmanly character; ability to understand a
question from all sides meant that one was totally unfitted for action.”
– Pericles about his fellow-Athenians, as quoted by Thucydides in “The
Peloponessian Wars”

Note: This communication represents the informal personal views of the
author solely; its contents do not necessarily reflect those of the
author’s employer, nor those of any organization with which the author
may be associated.