It was actually chapter 7 of Mormon.
Mormon was talking to the Lamanites ("the remnant of THIS people" verse
1). It seems that because of the promise made to the Lamanites by God (of
not being totally destroyed, and being remembered in the day of their
faith), the main sign of their true repentance and turning to God is to
bury their weapons of war.
However, this command was never given to the Nephites, the people of the
original promise. They were commanded to defend themselves, by the
shedding of blood, if necessary. In our day, we have not ever received
the command to bury our weapons. Instead, we have been told to defend
ourselves. That command may change, but hasn't yet.

Captain Moroni DID clear the wilderness areas of Lamanites. This suggests
that the territory was either in dispute (a DMZ), or was Lamanite
territory. Either way, Capt Moroni was the aggressor in this event.
Also, the converted Lamanites did all that was necessary to destroy the
Gadiantons of their day. We read in Helaman 6:
34 And thus we see that the Nephites did begin to dwindle in unbelief,
and grow in wickedness and abominations, while the Lamanites began to
grow exceedingly in the knowledge of their God; yea, they did begin to
keep his statutes and commandments, and to walk in truth and uprightness
before him.
35 And thus we see that the Spirit of the Lord began to withdraw from the
Nephites, because of the wickedness and the hardness of their hearts.
36 And thus we see that the Lord began to pour out his Spirit upon the
Lamanites, because of their easiness and willingness to believe in his
words.
37 And it came to pass that the Lamanites did hunt the band of robbers of
Gadianton; and they did preach the word of God among the more wicked part
of them, insomuch that this band of robbers was utterly destroyed from
among the Lamanites.
38 And it came to pass on the other hand, that the Nephites did build
them up and support them, beginning at the more wicked part of them,
until they had overspread all the land of the Nephites, and had seduced
the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in
their works and partake of their spoils, and to join with them in their
secret murders and combinations. (Helaman 6:34-38)

The righteous Lamanites hunted them. That suggests going into the
territories of the Gadiantons. Meanwhile, the Nephites did nothing to
stop them, and in fact ended up helping the robbers expand. If you don't
fight evil, you are eventually going to tolerate it, then embrace it.

So the command to bury weapons of war has always been a condition given
to the converted Lamanites, as a sign of their repentance. Those who had
the covenant (Nephites/us), have never been told by God to bury our
weapons. We've been commanded to seek peace with other nations, but
defend against them. And when it comes to Gadianton Robbers, the
righteous peoples in the BoM hunted them into extinction.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Goeff:
I was reading from the book of Mormon, chapters 5-7, when I noticed the
following verse in chapter 6:

4. Know ye that ye must lay down your weapons of war, and delight no
more in the shedding of blood, and take them not again, save it be that
God shall command you.