Tom Matkin wrote:

> [...]

You want results, I fear, that science can't provide. "Science is forever
tentative" is a well-known saying in science.

> What will the next study show? And the one after that?
> One is tempted to observe after a lifetime of encounters with scientific
> contradictions, false leads, overblown conclusions, forgotten lessons,
> conflicts of interest, grandiose hubris, smoke and mirrors, and (as a
> steady disturbing diversion), bald faced lies, spiced up by the
> occasional lucky guess or flash of genuine inspiration that these so
> called "scientific" studies are at best desperate flailing hunting
> oscillations, mere wild and hopeful hunches based on incomplete and
> false readings of the landscape, that have staggered through history
> like a merry band of oblivious drunken sailors ignorantly reeling down a
> narrow waterfront pier ever more in danger of drowning than safe passage
> to shore. But I will resist the temptation.
>
> Tom

I think the real problem is that people use science to support other ends.
Science in and of itself is neutral, it's what you do with it that counts.

I'm glad you're able to resist temptation. We are all involved in human
occupations in a telestial world, with all that that implies  ;-)

“The first duty of a university is to teach wisdom, not a trade; character, not
technicalities. We want a lot of engineers in the modern world, but we don’t want
a world of engineers.” – Sir Winston Churchill (1950)

${list_promo}