Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> -John-
> > Have any of you seen the comedy entitled Mars Attacks.  It is
> > hilarious, and one of my favorite, recent films.
>
> To each his own, I suppose. Michelle and I watched this some years ago,
> and we each thought it was one of the very worst, un-funniest,
> unpleasant movies we had ever had the misfortune of watching. It tried
> so hard to be over-the-top in cynical, gruesome humor, but instead it
> was mostly just unwatchable.

"campy" might be the word you're searching for ;-)
Or not -- chacun á son goût, and some of us revel in our poor goût...

> The only reason we finished it was that it
> had come highly recommended by a couple of people, so we (or I) kept on
> saying, "It _must_ get better than this." Unfortunately, it did not.
> Perhaps worst of all was not the grotesqueness of the "humor", but its
> mind-numbing predictability. (NOTE: SPOILER ALERT) The funniest part of
> the whole movie, which merited a slight half-smile from me and an
> eye-roll from Michelle, was the usage of Slim Whitman music to explode
> the Martians' heads at the end of the movie. On the whole, pretty much a
> waste of my time from beginning to end.

Oh, and what's the character actress's name who played the old granny? She was a
hoot!

And a cameo by Tom Jones parodying himself -- that's even better than William
Shatner.

> In contrast, I found _Death Becomes Her_ to be a very funny show, though
> the humor was so dark and gruesome that I did not think the humor was
> worth the experience. I wouldn't recommend the movie, but at least it
> was funny.
>
> Stephen

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill