After much pondering, Dan R Allen favored us with:
I'm saying that it should not be absolutely _necessary_ for God to have
parted the Red Sea, a'la Charlton Heston, to have a testimony that He
guided the Israelites across it. The fact that He helped them cross the Red
Sea is literal, but the exact means described may or may not be symbolic,
and shouldn't be the basis for a testimony of His power. Could He have done
it? Without a doubt. Was it absolutely necessary for Him to prove His power
to the Israelites in that specific way? Perhaps for them, but not for me.
How do you apply this reasoning to Jesus calling Lazarus forth from his tomb, or raising the daughter of Jairus? Maybe these two were not really dead, but by the power of God they recovered while if it hadn't been for the blessing they would have died? Is that what you believe? I personally believe that God performs miracles just like the parting of the Red Sea in our own day. I predict we will be able to see those miracles in profusion as this last dispensation draws to a close. If an all out germ war ever occurs, there will be people dying everywhere of diseases for which there is no cure and which are 100 percent fatal. In that day, the priesthood will have to perform healing blessing far more miraculous than are the norm in our own day. Why? Because in the economy of God's dealings with man, he is not accustomed to doing for man what man can do for himself with a little divine help. After all, it was the Lord who inspired the current medical technology. Why shouldn't he expect us to use it so far as we can?

What about the inventions of nuclear fission bombs? Can anyone deny that it was a technological leap forward of such an order as to seem like pure science fiction to all those who lived and died in the pre-atomic era? How about the Internet? These "miracles" are just as astounding as anything described in the Old Testament. If deBakey had lived in Christ's time and performed a heart transplant on one side of the stage while Jesus commanded Lazarus to come forth on the other side, which of the two would be thought to have performed the more miraculous feat?

I feel bad for people who are so "adult" that they no longer have the wonder and belief that they had when they were children. I am a man who lives in a world of miracles past, present and future. I believe all these things because I choose to. It fills my heart with joy to believe them.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"Atheistic humanism is the opiate of the self-described
intellectuals" --Uncle Bob

/// ZION LIST CHARTER: Please read it at ///
/// http://www.zionsbest.com/charter.html ///