But there are other places where BY cautions us about the Bible, but in
non-specific ways. He says there is the word of God, the word of man, and the
word of the Devil in it (paraphrasing), for instance.

Jim Cobabe wrote:

> Bible stories that Mother Young taught to Brigham when he was a child
> may be the stumbling block of those who read the scriptures with a
> traditional approach.  But Brigham's word on this matter doesn't seem to
> be exactly as we might have been led to believe.  In context, his
> disparaging remarks about literal interpretation of scriptures appear to
> be very specific, pointed at distancing mormon theology from traditional
> Christian views, not necessarily addressing as broad a topic as
> considering the literal interpretation of scripture.
>
> "Some of you may doubt the truth of what I now say, and argue that the
> Lord could teach him. This is a mistake. The Lord could not have taught
> him in any other way than in the way in which He did teach him. You
> believe Adam was made of the dust of this earth. This I do not believe,
> though it is supposed that it is so written in the Bible; but it is not,
> to my understanding. You can write that information to the States, if
> you please—that I have publicly declared that I do not believe that
> portion of the Bible as the Christian world do. I never did, and I never
> want to. What is the reason I do not? Because I have come to
> understanding, and banished from my mind all the  stories my mother
> taught me when I was a child.
>
> "But suppose Adam was made and fashioned the same as we make adobies; if
> he had never drunk of the bitter cup, the Lord might have talked to him
> to this day, and he would have continued as he was to all eternity,
> never advancing one particle in the school of intelligence. This idea
> opens up a field of light to the intelligent mind. How can you know
> truth but by its opposite, or light but by its opposite? The absence of
> light is darkness. How can sweetness be known but by its opposite,
> bitter? It is by this means that we obtain all intelligence. This is
> "Mormonism," and it is founded upon all truth, upon every principle of
> true philosophy; in fact the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the only true
> philosophy in existence. There is not one particle of it that is not
> strictly philosophical, though you and I may not understand all the
> fulness of it, but we will if we continue faithful."
>
>  (Journal of Discourses, 26 vols. [London: Latter-day Saints' Book
> Depot, 1854-1886], 2: 7.)

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill