Truman gave specific objectives for MacArthur to accomplish. This was to
drive the Chinese and North Koreans out of South Korea. Mac was not
authorized to expand the war into other nations. Just as we were on the
side of South Korea, the Chinese were fighting on the side of the North.
Truman had established what is now known as the Truman Doctrine, which
was to contain communism. With the power that both Russia and China had,
we would have been hard pressed to take over China. Russia would have
stepped in with their full force, MIGs, nukes, and technology.  Communism
was contained in Korea, which was the primary objective of the Korean War
and the Truman Doctrine.
MacArthur wanted to face down all of communism in one blow, which would
have happened had he gone across the Yalu River.  The cost could have
been greater than one thinks, since it would have driven Russia into the
war. Stalin was in charge then, with nukes, and he was (of all Soviet
dictators) probably the most likely one to use the bomb. While MacArthur
was driving into China, Russia would have moved both into China to
protect it, AND sent tanks into western Europe.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

JWR:
In any case, if Truman wasn't going to let MacArthur win the Korean War
even if it meant following Chinese combatants across the Yalu, he should
never have sent our troops over there.  When China attacked us we were at

war with China, weren't we?

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com