You know, I really like a lot of what Nibley says. However, he more often
points out the questions, without fleshing out the answers. He tells us
he has chosen consecration. Yet, he doesn't mention how he implements it.
Was he living consecration when he held off being married until he was in
his forties? Does "moving out of the neighborhood" mean moving to Provo?
Does he just turn over his retirement checks to his bishop in fast
offerings?
I would personally prefer to live in Zion, not the world. However, until
the rest of you get your act together and join me there, I'm forced to
dwell somewhere.  ;-)

As it is, I think that Nibley is reading the phrase differently than our
LDS leaders do, or at least is taking it from a different angle. He wants
Zion built, and for all of us to move out of Babylon into Zion.  Until
that happens, our leaders realize we are going to dwell in small groups
among the Gentiles of the world. Our leaders see this as a good thing, in
that it allows us to promote the gospel, spreading it forth. There was a
time when Joseph and Brigham called the saints to gather out from the
world. That will occur again, I believe. But for now, our command is to
dwell amongst others, in the hopes we can lift them up, convert some, and
learn to live righteously in a wicked world. However, I do believe with
Nibley, that many saints have forsaken their vows of consecration for a
worldly comfort. How else can you explain the cheap labor rates and high
house costs in Utah? Both suggest greed.
K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Nibley:The Lord has repeatedly commanded and forced his people to
flee out of the world into the wilderness, quite literally; there is
only one way to avoid becoming involved in the neighborhood brawls, and
that is to move out of the neighborhood. There is nothing in the
Constitution that forbids me doing certain things I have covenanted and
promised to do; if the neighbors don't like it, they have no legal
grounds against me, but there are ways of getting me to move; "the
tribulation. . . shall descend upon you," said the Lord, but do things
my way and "my providence" will see you through (D&C 78:14). This
inescapable conflict is part of our human heritage, as we learn from
dramatic passages of scripture.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com