I think the Lord gave it, not necessarily to help us with our health,
though it definitely does, but because of what the first few verses of DC
89 tell us concerning the secret works of evil men in our day. It was to
prevent our people from getting used and abused by the enemies of the
Church.
Secondly, it originally was not given as a commandment, but as guidance.
Only in the 1850s, did Brigham Young make it a binding commandment.
Still, though the modern prophets do not specifically mention caffeine,
they have unofficially added to the WoW any dangerous drugs, and even
abused prescribed medications. While we have the binding part
specifically laid out for us in the commandment, we can find new areas
and advice given us that is not officially binding. It is up to us to get
to the point where we can use wisdom in both areas. For example, we
concentrate so much on the "thou shalt nots" in the WoW, we often ignore
the things we are encouraged to do: eat grains, fruits and vegetables.
Use meat sparingly, particularly in times of hunger and winter, etc.
I know of many saints that are at least a little overweight due to over
eating (I'm about 20 pounds overweight), and in many ways we need to
consider changing our ways, perhaps even repenting.
So, just because it hasn't been made a commandment, doesn't mean we need
to have a specific commandment. We aren't to be commanded in all things.

K'aya K'ama,
Gerald/gary  Smith    gszion1 @juno.com    http://www
.geocities.com/rameumptom/index.html
"No one is as hopelessly enslaved as the person who thinks he's free."  -
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Marc:
He could have also told the early Saints to boil their drinking water
they got from
the Mississippi, which would have prevented a cholera epidemic Nauvoo
suffered
through at one point, iirc. But he didn't. I'm with JWR on this -- it's
only
superficially about health. Put another way, health becomes a kind of
type for
spirituality. It's a law of obedience and helps set us apart as a
spiritual
community, as Zion.

Only $9.95 per month!
Visit www.juno.com