Stephen Beecroft wrote:

> -Jim-
> > Canadian politician calls President Bush a moron.
>
> -Marc-
> > It wasn't a politician, it was an aide,
>
> Huh? That's like saying, "It wasn't an animal, it was a housefly." Of
> course she is a politician. Do you mean that she is not an elected
> official? That much is clear, but really doesn't impact Jim's point.

No, it's not. It's like saying, "It wasn't an animal, it was a vegetable." A civil
servant is not a politician.

> > and it was in a private conversation at a social event,
>
> All the more reason to keep one's mouth shut instead of spewing such
> bile. How humiliating for her, and deservedly so.

Indeed. But my point was merely to point out that it wasn't a politician who said
this. That it has become such an issue in the U.S. surprises me. It's we
Canuckistanis who are supposed to be the thin-skinned ones ;-)

> > *No politician* said this -- Ducros hasn't been elected to
> > anything, she's just Chrétien's communications director.
>
> I don't think "politician" and "elected official" are necessarily
> synonymous, which is apparently your understanding. So you think that
> Colin Powell is not a politician? George Stephanopolous was not a
> politician? I disagree.

Fine. But they aren't/weren't politicians. If you have an idiosyncratic definition
that's fine by me. But see above for the point of the issue. You're straining at a
gnat. Leave that to us Canuckleheads, we've had more experience at it and do it
with more theatricality.

> Stephen

“Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick
himself up and continue on” – Winston Churchill