On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 21:59:23 -0700, "Marc A. Schindler"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
> Too true. I guess I'm sensitive about the issue because I sweat profusely
> from my
> face (around the front of the hairline, and then back to the nape of the
> neck).
> But when you think about it the only way obesity would make you sweat is
> that you
> simply can't be as active as thinner people. Some think the fat layer is
> an
> "insulator" but in fact, it's the opposite: since it is so rich with
> blood
> vessels, it's also a "radiator," and I suspect (but can't prove) that the
> radiation effect is stronger than the insulation effect.

Marc,

I too sweat profusely. I am overweight and suffer from the same sort of
prejudice. I have had to repeatedly explain to people that the nerves
that sense temperature are on the OUTSIDE of the fat, not the inside, so
whether my skin indicates the temperature is high or not is not dependant
on my weight.

Actually, there is one mechanism by which an overweight person will tend
to be "hotter" than someone who is not overweight. That is due to the
fact that body heat is generated inside the body, but radiated from the
surface. Anyone with a little geometry should be able to recognize that
an overweight person has a higher volume per serface area and thus more
ability to generate heat compared to their ability to radiate it.

I think, however, that this is a minor issue compared to other factors.

The one thing that I have had cause to wonder about is if perhaps the
cause and effect relationship between being overweight and feeling hot or
sweating isn't the other way around. I think there is enough evidence to
suggest that perhaps people who feel the heat more and tend to sweat a
lot therefore have a higher tendancy to be overwieght. In other words,
the weight factor is not the cause of the sweating and feeling of heat,
but either a cause or another effect of something else that causes both.

Scott

--
Buttered bread always lands butter side * Would YOU mistake these as
down (Unless it sticks to the ceiling!) * anyone`s opinions but my own?

--
http://fastmail.fm - One of many happy users:
  http://www.fastmail.fm/docs/quotes.html