Excerpts from:

Russell M. Nelson, “Divine Love,” Ensign, Feb. 2003, 20

While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and
universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional. The
word does not appear in the scriptures. On the other hand, many verses
affirm that the higher levels of love the Father and the Son feel for
each of us—and certain divine blessings stemming from that love—are
conditional. Before citing examples, it is well to recognize various
forms of conditional expression in the scriptures...

Understanding that divine love and blessings are not truly
“unconditional” can defend us against common fallacies such as these:
“Since God’s love is unconditional, He will love me regardless …”; or
“Since ‘God is love,’ He will love me unconditionally, regardless …”

These arguments are used by anti-Christs to woo people with deception.
Nehor, for example, promoted himself by teaching falsehoods: He
“testified unto the people that all mankind should be saved at the last
day, … for the Lord had created all men, … and, in the end, all men
should have eternal life.” Sadly, some of the people believed Nehor’s
fallacious and unconditional concepts.

In contrast to Nehor’s teachings, divine love warns us that “wickedness
never was happiness.”  Jesus explains, “Come unto me and be ye saved; …
except ye shall keep my commandments, … ye shall in no case enter into
the kingdom of heaven.”

Does this mean the Lord does not love the sinner? Of course not. Divine
love is infinite and universal. The Savior loves both saints and
sinners. The Apostle John affirmed, “We love him, because he first loved
us.” And Nephi, upon seeing in vision the Lord’s mortal ministry,
declared: “The world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a
thing of naught; wherefore they scourge him, and he suffereth it; and
they smite him, and he suffereth it. Yea, they spit upon him, and he
suffereth it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering
towards the children of men.” We know the expansiveness of the
Redeemer’s love because He died that all who die might live again.