From: "John W. Redelfs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 4:39 PM
Subject: RE: [ZION] [MT] Aaronic and Melchizedek Temples

George Cobabe wrote:
>Some thoughts about the temple questions.  I asked the question on another
>list I participate in and got the following.

I don't know what other list you got your answers from, George.  But it
seems clear to me from the following that Joseph Fielding Smith did NOT
misunderstand what Joseph Smith said about the restoration of animal
sacrifice.

---
Ehat & Cook, Words of Joseph Smith, OM: 5 October 1840 (Monday Morning),
p.43-p.44
It is a very prevalent opinion that in the sacrifices of sacrifices which
were offered were entirely consumed, this was not the case if you read
Leviticus [2] Chap [2-3] verses you will observe that the priests took a
part as a memorial and offered it up before the Lord, while the remainder
was kept for the benefit maintenance of the priests. 26 So that the
offerings and sacrifices are not all consumed upon the Alter, but the blood
is sprinkled and the fat and certain other portions are  consumed  These
sacrifices as well as every ordinance belonging to the priesthood will when
the temple of the Lord shall be built and the Sons Levi be purified be
fully restored and attended to then all their powers ramifications
ramifications and blessings-this the Sons of Levi shall be purified. ever
was and will exist when the powers of the Melchisid Priesthood are
sufficiently manifest. 27 Else how can the restitution of all things [p.44]
spoken of by all the Holy Prophets be brought to pass be brought to pass 28
It is not to be understood that, the law of moses will be established again
with all it rights and variety of ceremonies, ceremonies, this had never
been spoken off by the prophets but those things which existed prior Mose's
day viz Sacrifice will be continued 29-It may be asked by some what
necessity for Sacrifice since the great Sacrifice was offered? In answer to
which if Repentance Baptism and faith were necessary to Salvation existed
prior to the days of Christ what necessity for them since that time 30-
---

 From this is clear to me that animal sacrifice will be restored in this
dispensation as part of the restoration of all things.  At least that is
what Joseph Smith and Joseph Fielding Smith taught.