I have to admit that I didn't know that much about Nauvoo and what
happened to the Saints until I read the "150 Years Ago Today"
series that began on Zion.  It grew into what we now know as Gems.

My ancestors were there alone with my wife's. (Please don't think that
I'm announcing that I'm a great Latter-day Saint just because my family
was at Nauvoo - I still have a LONG way to go just to get myself where I
need to be).   As I read the narrative, I gained a testimony of a couple
of things.

First, the Saints needed a decision point.  Would they, one last time,
submit themselves to hardship by remaining loyal to the Gospel.  Many
didn't, not a huge group, but some certainly didn't decide to move west
- they felt that their comfort, safety, and wealth were more important
than eternal life.  They took the easy route and became Re-Organites, etc.

Second, and a by-product of the first, a cleansing of  Zion was needed.
  A final (for then) culling of the heard was needed to build Zion in the
mountains.  The Prophet Brigham Young didn't need his attention diverted
by taking care of  dissention in the West while he was building the
initial infrastructure for Utah, Idaho, etc.  A peaceful  period was
needed from those who would harm or make afraid the Saints.

Third, and perhaps most iportantly, Joseph needed to seal his testimony.
  How much more powerful did the testimony of the first vision and the
Book of Mormon become when he gave himself up like a lamb going to the
slaughter.  He declared himself calm as the morning as he and the
patriarch submitted themselves to the authorities (gods) of this world.

I stood there in the street where the wagons were queued up to cross the
Mississippi.  There was a plaque there amongst the others quoting my
ancestor.  I wept openly as I read it.  Even though I am adopted into
the family and none of his blood flows through my veins, I was and am
greatful to him and all he went through.  I'm greatful to another
ancestor who died at Winter Quarters, leaving behind two young wives who
had to make the rest of the journey relying on each other and the
generosity of the Saints on the trail and in Utah to raise up a
righteous family.

I know that it will happen again.  To tell you the truth, I look forward
to it.  I'm REALLY tired of those who declare themselves royal families,
who know that we can buy anything in this world with money, who thnk of
those of us who have sufficient for our needs are lesser members of the
Church.
It will be interesting to see how many of us will actually be left.  But
this is where my knowledge of the prophesies gets sketchy.  Will this be
just before another exodus, this time to Independence, MO?  I hear this
discussed in some quarters but I'm unclear as to when this will happen
and its timing.

Tom