At 07:28 PM 9/15/03 -0500, Paul Osborne wrote:

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 11:48:07 -0500 [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
> Oh!  And I forgot...my husband has also literally broken his back at
> work...when the store was being constructed, they didn't properly
> cover an
> area where pipes and that come up to the ground...only covered it
> in
> plywood.  He was walking the area in the truck bay, and thought
> he'd
> stepped around it, but when his foot hit the wood, the wood
> shattered, he
> fell and the pipes broke his fall, as well as his back.
>
> Heidi

I've been cut many times, bruised, hit in the head by a fallen light
pole, burned during welding, frostbitten by liquid refrigerant, shocked
by 277VAC,

A guy I know on another list confessed that the first week he was working as a TV service person he was trying to get a better grip on the 27" picture tube he had just removed from a customer's set when he accidentally stuck his finger in that little hole on the side of the tube and had the flyback capacitor discharge through him -- he mentioned this in response to a post where I had mentioned that the rule of thumb is that the flyback voltage on a picture tube or CRT from a monitor is about 1,000 volts per inch of diagonal measurement. In response to 27KVDC being grounded through his arm, his muscles contracted violently and he put his elbow through the customer's family room wall . . .

P.S. No, I have never done that myself. In fact, the reason it came up was that I had mentioned that once when I wrote a hardware manual for a particular series of computer terminals I learned (1) that rule of thumb for the flyback voltage and (2) the proper, safe way to discharge the flyback capacitor *before* removing the tube from the chassis . . .

OTOH, when I was working in the nuclear accelerator lab while an undergraduate, I was given the task of wiring an delay circuit so an alarm would sound for a certain period of time before any power went to the cyclotron so anyone who happened to be inside the vault would have time to either get out or throw the kill switch before he got zapped by radiation. One of the people who was supposed to know what he was doing drew up a circuit diagram which I was supposed to follow. I already knew enough by then to put it together with jumper cables and test it before soldering anything permanently. When I finished wiring it that way and plugged it in and flipped the switch, there was a foot-long spark and the lights in half the building went out. The professor in charge of the lab asked calmly, "What happened?". flipped the circuit breaker back on, looked at the diagram I had followed, and corrected it. That time, it worked without any unexpected pyrotechnics . . .

Can a male school teacher support a family with one paycheck? Must all
school teachers be woman?

I'm not.

Of course, no one said you could support a family on my paycheck. I can barely support me and two cats on what I can manage to bring in. (And, FWIW, my house is paid for.)

-- Ronn! :)