I am 58 years old, the father of three children, and the husband of one wife. My home for the last sixteen years has been Ketchikan, Alaska where my career has been househusband and home schooler. Earlier in my life I worked as a laborer, salesman, logger, oil field roughneck, campus police officer, locksmith, stock broker and other occupations too numerous to mention. I have attended college, but I never obtained a degree. In addition to Omaha I have lived in Rochester, Minnesota; El Paso, Texas; Chicago, Illinois; Salt Lake City, Utah; Berkeley, California; Los Angeles, California; Houston, Texas; and many other place too numerous to mention. I was in the US Marine Corps in 1964-65.

I joined the Church as a senior in high school in 1963. After a five year struggle I finally overcame my Word of Wisdom problems, and I have been active since 1968. I was ordained a Priest in 1965, an Elder in 1971, and an High Priest in 1996. I have served in many Church callings including but not limited to Ward Clerk, District Clerk, Elders Quorum Counselor, Elders Quorum President, Sunday School President, Sacrament Meeting Chorister, High Councilor, Early Morning Seminary Teacher, and High Priest Group Leader. Currently I am the Gospel Doctrine teacher in the Ketchikan Alaska Ward Sunday School.

Esperanza and I married in the Los Angeles temple in 1978, over 25 years ago. We have three children. Sara, born in 1979, is currently studying at the University of Massachusetts in Boston to obtain a bachelor's degree in registered nursing. Her husband is in his third year of dental school at Boston University. Rebekah, who was born in 1981, is living in Juneau, Alaska where her husband runs the computer help desk at the University of Alaska in Juneau. On September 5th they had a baby girl named Julia who is my first grandchild. My son Jack, who was born in 1984 and will be 20 years old in February, has finally left home and is also in Juneau where he is preparing for a mission. Now that Jack is gone, I'm struggling a little with "empty nest syndrome."

From the age of eight I have been in love with libraries, used bookstores, and recently the Internet. My hobbies have varied widely over the years and include photography, amateur astronomy, coin collecting, skin diving, backpacking, fishing, hiking, acting in collegiate and community theater, singing in collegiate and community choirs, reading science fiction and fantasy, and for the last ten years: running email discussion lists for Mormons on the Internet. Of them all, this last one has been the most satisfying and the source of countless hours of enjoyment and a number of lifelong friends.

My wife hopes to retire in about three years. We hope to serve missions for the Church if our health permits. In the meantime, I'll prepare for my mission with scripture and gospel study, and by continuing to run these email lists.

Oh, my all-time favorite authors are: Edgar Rice Burroughs, Orson Scott Card, William Shakespeare, Alexandre Dumas, and Tennessee Williams. My all-time favorite movies are: Star Wars, Zefirelli's Romeo and Juliet, Zefirelli's Jesus of Nazareth, Ben Hur, and Blade Runner. My favorite dessert is chocolate mousse cheesecake. My favorite color is yellow. And my favorite firearm is the 1911A1 Colt .45 ACP.

And now you know more about me than you probably want to know. If I've left anything out, just ask.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"The study of the doctrines of the Gospel will improve
behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve
behavior." --Boyd K. Packer