Stephen Beecroft wrote:
Christopher Hitchens hates "Mother" Teresa.  This is not a secret.
Given some of Hitchens' proclivities, I am not necessarily prone to
uncritical acceptance of his viewpoint, but the man is very intelligent
and, I think, makes a few good points.  (Not that I know enough about
the issues to make an informed judgment.)  Given the praise of "Mother"
Teresa taking place when I first returned to this list a few weeks back,
I thought some might find this piece interesting, even despite its URL:

http://slate.msn.com/id/2090083/

Excerpt:

"MT was not a friend of the poor. She was a friend of poverty. She said
that suffering was a gift from God. She spent her life opposing the only
known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the
emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory
reproduction. And she was a friend to the worst of the rich, taking
misappropriated money from the atrocious Duvalier family in Haiti (whose
rule she praised in return) and from Charles Keating of the Lincoln
Savings and Loan. Where did that money, and all the other donations, go?
The primitive hospice in Calcutta was as run down when she died as it
always had been—she preferred California clinics when she got sick
herself—and her order always refused to publish any audit. But we have
her own claim that she opened 500 convents in more than a hundred
countries, all bearing the name of her own order. Excuse me, but this is
modesty and humility?

"The rich world has a poor conscience, and many people liked to
alleviate their own unease by sending money to a woman who seemed like
an activist for 'the poorest of the poor.' People do not like to admit
that they have been gulled or conned, so a vested interest in the myth
was permitted to arise, and a lazy media never bothered to ask any
follow-up questions. Many volunteers who went to Calcutta came back
abruptly disillusioned by the stern ideology and poverty-loving practice
of the 'Missionaries of Charity,' but they had no audience for their
story. George Orwell's admonition in his essay on Gandhi—that saints
should always be presumed guilty until proved innocent—was drowned in a
Niagara of soft-hearted, soft-headed, and uninquiring propaganda."

Not only that, but according to Christ, almsgiving is to be done anonymously. Mother Theresa was FAMOUS for her unselfishness. Just how unselfish can giving be when it brings that kind of fame? --JWR