Feedback please

- - - - -

HOW I BELIEVE THE FAMILY IS BEING ATTACKED
©2004 by Jonathan Scott

- - - - -

1.      God is Dead
2.      Taboos and Darwin
3.      The Vietnam War and the Mass Challenging of Taboos
4.      Feminism, Women in the Workplace, Inflation, Poverty
5.      Abortion
6.      Sex
7.      Generation Y
8.      Same Sex Marriage

- - - - -

1. God is Dead

The following article is from the January 9, 1966 New York Times (Page 146.)

'God is Dead'
The following ritual was presented during a chapel service at a small denominational college in the South. It was designed to explore in liturgical form the experience of the "death of God." The reaction, according to campus reporter, "ranged from tears to a new enthusiasm for theology."

        Reader:
        He was our guide and our stay
        He walked with us beside still waters
        He was our help in ages past

        Chorus:
        The lengthening shadow grows formless
        The lengthening shadow grows formless

        Reader:
        Now the day is over
        Night is drawing nigh
        Shadows of the evening steal across the sky

        Chorus:
        He is gone.  He is stolen by darkness
        He is gone.  He is stolen by darkness

        Reader:
        Now we must wonder
        Was He our only dream.
        A dream painted across the sky

        Chorus:
        And in the beginning our fear created him
        And in the beginning our fear created him

        Reader:
        Did we create Him in our image?
        Did we surround Him with hosts because
        We were alone?

        Chorus:
        Our imaginations rescued us from the deep
        Our imaginations rescued us from the deep

        Reader:
        Space has stretched beyond Him.
        It is very cold here
        And from time there comes no warmth

        Chorus:
        The universe is too vast for him
        The universe is too vast for him

        Reader:
        Beyond the stars, more stars
        Beyond the sky, more sky
        Above our dreams, more dreams

        Chorus:
        Heaven is empty
        Heaven is empty

        Reader:
        Only his footsteps remain
        Only stained glass and arched hopes
        Only wasted steeples and useless piety

        Chorus:
        There is silence along the forest path
        There is silence along the forest path

        Reader:
        Why is there no dawn?
        Why do our dead only die?
        Why do our living only live?

        Chorus:
        Your God is Dead
        He died in the darkness of your image
        He died because he grew ill from your dreams of salvation
        He died because you held his hand too tightly
        God is Dead
        New York Times, Jan 9, 1966, pg. 146

The "God is Dead" concept was originally published in 1882 by philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche who's argument was that in our successes in science and in our unraveling of earth's mysteries, many have come to deduce that there is no God and, as a result, have removed His spiritual influence from their hearts. Because our society (American and European) is founded on Judeo/Christian morality, the removal of God from our culture will result unavoidably in great changes to the culture.

Here is the quote from Nietzsche's book entitled "The Gay Science (aka Joyous Wisdom)."

Have you not heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market-place, and cried incessantly: "I am looking for God! I am looking for God!"
As many of those who did not believe in God were standing together there, he excited considerable laughter. Have you lost him, then? said one. Did he lose his way like a child? said another. Or is he hiding? Is he afraid of us? Has he gone on a voyage? or emigrated? Thus they shouted and laughed. The madman sprang into their midst and pierced them with his glances.
"Where has God gone?" he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. We are his murderers. But how have we done this? How were we able to drink up the sea? Who gave us the sponge to wipe away the entire horizon? What did we do when we unchained the earth from its sun? Whither is it moving now? Whither are we moving now? Away from all suns? Are we not perpetually falling? Backward, sideward, forward, in all directions? Is there any up or down left? Are we not straying as through an infinite nothing? Do we not feel the breath of empty space? Has it not become colder? Is it not more and more night coming on all the time? Must not lanterns be lit in the morning? Do we not hear anything yet of the noise of the gravediggers who are burying God? Do we not smell anything yet of God's decomposition? Gods too decompose. God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. How shall we, murderers of all murderers, console ourselves? That which was the holiest and mightiest of all that the world has yet possessed has bled to death under our knives. Who will wipe this blood off us? With what water could we purify ourselves? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent? Is not the greatness of this deed too great for us? Must we not ourselves become gods simply to be worthy of it? There has never been a greater deed; and whosoever shall be born after us - for the sake of this deed he shall be part of a higher history than all history hitherto."
Here the madman fell silent and again regarded his listeners; and they too were silent and stared at him in astonishment. At last he threw his lantern to the ground, and it broke and went out. "I have come too early," he said then; "my time has not come yet. The tremendous event is still on its way, still travelling - it has not yet reached the ears of men. Lightning and thunder require time, the light of the stars requires time, deeds require time even after they are done, before they can be seen and heard. This deed is still more distant from them than the distant stars - and yet they have done it themselves."
It has been further related that on that same day the madman entered divers churches and there sang a requiem. Led out and quietened, he is said to have retorted each time: "what are these churches now if they are not the tombs and sepulchres of God?"

Nietzsche suggested that values themselves were merely inventions and that life itself was meaningless (nihilism). He also stated that the world was moving from its classical Judeo/Christian value structure towards nihilism and that society as a result would change significantly.

None to date have disproven the existence of God. It is true though that the new morality of nihilism has become a strong influence in our society. How has this movement from classical morality changed us?
How well would a godless society live? How well could an entire population of people get along without a mutual respect or fear of a holy supernatural power?
Whether or not God exists, there is no debate that the world has changed, not only in morality, but also in civility. Are these two changes related?
--
Jonathan Scott