Tom Matkin wrote:
> The USA and her allies will successfully establish democratic rule in
> Iraq.
>
> A. Certainly
> B. Probably
> C. Maybe
> D. Unlikely
> E. Certainly not

E. Certainly not.  Democratic rule is a privilege that must be earned.
The people of Iraq cannot have it given to them or established for them
any more than I can give someone else my own character or discipline.
All the USA can do is try to improve the circumstances for the growth of
democracy.  In most cases those interventions seem to about as
successful as premature efforts interventions to help a chick hatch.

I strongly agree with you, Tom. Freedom, and the western democratic traditions that establish and maintain freedom are a cultural phenomenon, not something that can be imposed from above. The roots of freedom in the west go back in the English speaking cultures to medieval Britain. That is why we have democracy in the USA, Canada, Australia, and a few other places. That is also why democracy is so tentative on the European continent, and almost nonexistent in non western nations. Democracy is a mind set that is engendered in families that understand and value fundamental, God-given human rights. Those families are almost all English speaking.

John W. Redelfs [EMAIL PROTECTED]
"I know of nothing in the history of the Church or in the
history of the world to compare with our present
circumstances. Nothing happened in Sodom and
Gomorrah which exceeds the wickedness and depravity
which surrounds us now." --President Boyd K. Packer,
February 28, 2004