Read the whole thing....  Here's a quote from it to tempt you:

Objectivity, she said, was "a hypocrisy which has been invented in the West
which means nothing. We must take positions. Our weakness in the West is
born of the fact of so-called 'objectivity.' Objectivity does not exist .
The word is a hypocrisy which is sustained by the lie that the truth stays
in the middle. No, sir: Sometimes truth stays on one side only."

Subject: Oriana Fallaci

The New York Observer  27Jan. '03

"The Rage of Oriana Fallaci"
by GeorgeGurley

On a recent afternoon, the telephone rang in Oriana Fallaci's Manhattan
townhouse. The tiny, blue-eyed 72-year-old writer put down her cigarette and
picked up the receiver.

"Oh, it is you!" she said. She assured the caller she was all right, then
thanked him and hung up.

"He calls to see if I'm alive," she said, "to see if I need something."

The caller was a police officer, who has been checking in on Ms. Fallaci
since the publication of her most recent book, The Rage and the Pride, which
she wrote in New York during the weeks following Sept. 11. The book-a
passionate cry in which she accuses the West of being blind to the true
threat of Islam-caused a scandal when it was published in Europe last year,
but has raised barely a murmur in the U.S. In her native country of Italy,
the book has sold over 1 million copies and over 500,000 in the rest of
Europe. In the U.S., it has sold just 40,000 copies since October. The
relative silence with which Americans have greeted the book is somewhat
puzzling: It is precisely Americans who have the most evidence, in downtown
New York, of the danger which Ms. Fallaci lays out in her 187-page book.

In The Rage and the Pride, Ms. Fallaci compares Islam to a "mountain which
in one thousand and four hundred years has not moved, has not risen from the
abyss of its blindness, has not opened its doors to the conquests of
civilization, has never wanted to know about freedom and democracy and
progress. In short, has not changed." She warns that "from Afghanistan to
Sudan, from Palestine to Pakistan, from Malaysia to Iran, from Egypt to
Iraq, from Algeria to Senegal, from Syria to Kenya, from Libya to Chad, from
Lebanon to Morocco, from Indonesia to Yemen, from Saudi Arabia to Somalia,
the hate for the West swells like a fire fed by the wind. And the followers
of Islamic Fundamentalism multiply like protozoa of a cell which splits to
become two cells then four then eight then sixteen then thirty-two. To
infinity."

In France, a group called the Movement Against Racism and for Friendship
Between People tried to get the book banned. A French court rejected the
request. In Italy, a booklet titled "Islam Punishes Oriana Fallaci," written
by the president of the Italian Islamic Party, called for Muslims to "go and
die with Fallaci." Ms. Fallaci sued the author for slander and instigation
to murder.

"My life," Ms. Fallaci wrote in her book's preface, "is seriously in
danger."

Ms. Fallaci had achieved international fame as a journalist and author-
"La Fallaci"-who had covered the Vietnam War and conducted spirited,
combative interviews with celebrities ...ell as world leaders like Indira
Gandhi, Golda Meir, the Shah of Iran, Ariel Sharon, the Ayatollah Khomeini,
Yasir Arafat and Deng Xiaoping (or, as she called some of them, "those
bastards who decide our lives"). Henry Kissinger said that his interview
with Ms. Fallaci was "the most disastrous conversation I ever had with any
member of the press."

Her writing has made her life comfortable-in addition to her Manhattan
townhouse, she owns a residence in Florence and a 23-room country house in
Tuscany-though comfort has not dulled her edges.

As we drank Sancerre in her sitting room ...she  talked about The Rage and
the Pride's success in Europe.

"I have been months and months and months of best-seller No. 1," .... "I do
not say this to make self-congratulations. I say this to underline my
thesis-that the moment was mature! That I have put the finger on the nerve
of something: the Muslims' immigration, which grows and grows without
inserting itself in our way of life, without accepting our way of life and,
on the contrary, trying to impose on us its way of life .. And people in
Europe are so exasperated by the arrogance of most of these 'invaders' and
being blackmailed with the unfair term 'racist' when they protest, that
there was a kind of thirst for a book like this .. There is no other
explanation for the book's success!  ...  This is a scream rather than an
essay-a book written in two weeks, c'mon. Why? It was not the book itself.
It was the thirst, the hunger.

"You know in the turning of history there are, at times, a brusque turn ....
I'm afraid that we are now at one of those turns. Not because we want it.
Because it is imposed on us. It is not this time a revolution, like the
American Revolution or the French Revolution .. It is a counterrevolution!
Alas. And it is against us. I am kind of happy not to have ahead of me a
very long future which will confirm my prediction. ...."

The West, she said, is under assault and doesn't realize it.

"If we stay inert, if we let ourselves be scared, then we become
collaborationists," she said. "If we are passive . then we lose the war that
has been declared against us.

"We can talk for centuries about the word 'racist,'" she said. "'Racist' has
to do with race and not with religion. Yes, I am against that religion, a
religion that controls the life of people in every minute of their day,  ...
.I am not religious-all religions are difficult to accept for me-but the
Islamic one is not even a religion, in my opinion. It is a tyranny, a
dictatorship-the only religion on earth that has never committed a work of
self-criticism  ...

"Listen, ... Those who do not follow what people like me say are
unrealistic, are really masochistic, because they don't see the reality ..
Muslims have passion, and we have lost the passion. People like me who have
passion are derided  .  .  ..  .  . They have such passion and such guts
that they are ready to die for it."

I asked her about the death threats she receives.

"..."I can't bear the bodyguards," she explained. In Italy, she said, they
are "imposed" on her. Her homes in Florence and Tuscany are closely guarded.
If anything happened to her in Italy, she said, it would be a political
scandal.

However, in New York she's fairly vulnerable, and she likes it.

"Thank God the Americans don't care about me!" she said, adding that the
F.B.I. had been over a few times.

"I am not saying this because I want to look like I am like Rambo .... "It's
my temperament. When you have been born in a war like me, living in a war as
a child, when you have been in wars as a war correspondent all your
life-trust me! You develop a form of fatalism; you are always ready to die.
And when you love your own freedom as much as I do, you don't bend to the
fear to be killed, because otherwise ... you go under the bed and you stay
hidden ... .

.  .  .

How did she feel about President Bush?

"We will see; it's too soon," she said. "I have the impression that Bush has
a certain vigor and also a dignity which had been forgotten in the United
States for eight years."

She doesn't like it, however, when the President calls Islam a "religion of
peace."

"Do you know what I do each time he says it on TV? I'm there alone, and I
watch it and say, 'Shut up! Shut up, Bush!' But he doesn't listen to me.

.  .  .

Oriana Fallaci grew up poor, the oldest of three sisters, in Florence. Her
father Edoardo was a craftsman and anti-Fascist political activist ... .

In The Rage and the Pride, she writes about a day in 1943 when Allied bombs
fell on Florence. She and her father took refuge in a church, and she
started crying. Her father, she writes, "gave me a powerful slap, he stared
me in the eyes and said, 'A girl does not, must not, cry.'"

He was a leader in the Resistance against the Fascists and made his daughter
a soldier in the cause. According to a 1998 biography by Santo L. Aric?
(Oriana Fallaci: The Woman and the Myth), she smuggled explosives past
checkpoints... .  In 1944, her father was captured and sentenced to death,
but the city was liberated before the sentence could be carried out.

She graduated high school at 16 and attended the University of Florence,
where she studied medicine before being hired at a daily newspaper. At 21,
she also began writing for one of Italy's top magazines, Europeo. Soon she
was interviewing people like Clark Gable.  ...

I asked about the secret of her huge success as a journalist. She said it
had to do with the fact that she never tried to be objective. Objectivity,
she said, was "a hypocrisy which has been invented in the West which means
nothing. We must take positions. Our weakness in the West is born of the
fact of so-called 'objectivity.' Objectivity does not exist . The word is a
hypocrisy which is sustained by the lie that the truth stays in the middle.
No, sir: Sometimes truth stays on one side only."

.  .  .

In her hallway, I noticed a framed advertisement for a speech against Hitler
and Mussolini which the anti-Fascist writer Gaetano Salvemini gave at Irving
Plaza in 1933.

"They wouldn't listen," Ms. Fallaci said. "They wouldn't believe him; it was
too early. I feel myself very near like Salvemini. Because he was shouting
with the same despair, with the same arguments, and people did not believe
him. When you say things a little too early, they don't believe you.
Capito?"

Last April, she said, Ariel Sharon phoned her to praise an article she had
written in the weekly Italian publication Panorama about the problem of
European and Arab anti-Semitism.

She said she answered the phone and said, "'Hey, Sharon! How are you? Are
you as fat?' Because I know him. Sharon said, 'Oriana, I called you to say,
"Damn, you have guts; damn, you are courageous; damn, do I thank you."' I
said, 'Ariel, you thank me-I apologize with you. I was too tough to you 20
years ago.' And he was, as usual, a gentleman."

The night before the phone call, there had been an attack on a kibbutz.

"I said, 'Listen, dear, I know what happened last night in that kibbutz.
Will you please permit me to express to you and to your people my
condolences?' Sharon started crying. I don't know, I didn't see the tears.
But the voice was of a crying man, and he started to shout: 'Oriana! You are
the only one who says the word condolences! Do you know... I just spoke to
the British and Americans ... 'they did not say that word to me.' And then
with broken voice he said, 'Do you know who were the dead last night? One
was the grandmother who was in Dachau and who still had the number on her
arm. The second one was her daughter, who was seven months pregnant. And the
third one was the child of the daughter, who was 5 years old. And they are
all dead! All dead! All dead!' He was crying."

--- Begin Message ---
This woman has wisdom.  A very interesting perspective.  She understands
that the media needs to seek the truth not objectivity.  "Sometimes Truth
stays on one side only" .
I am glad that we have truth on our side.
Philip

--- End Message ---