February 3, 2003

Re:  Globe and Mail - John Allemang poem, "The Angel Ariel," February 1, 2003

We would like to draw your attention to John Allemang's poem, "The Angel Ariel," in
the Globe and Mail's Focus section (February 1) which you may want to respond to. You
will find the piece below.

"The Angel Ariel" is a grossly unfair, scurrilous attack on Ariel Sharon, and by
extension on Israel.

Poetic license is no excuse for anti-Israel invective that crosses the line into
anti-Jewish stereotyping. For instance, take these lines from the second stanza: "It's
said Sharon has changed his ways: He's moderate, not like the days when babies died
and girls were raped.."  This is a revolting, baseless diatribe.

Our concern is not merely that such noxious ideas came from Allemang's pen; it is also
that the editors of the paper considered this worthy of publication.

We ask you to read this piece carefully and to make your views known to the Globe and
Mail:

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jerry Johnson, Focus Editor - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Cathrin Bradbury, Weekend Editor - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ed Greenspon, Editor-in-Chief - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

*  *   *   *

POETIC JUSTICE

By JOHN ALLEMANG

Saturday, February 1, 2003 - Print Edition, Page F4

The Angel Ariel

What happened to that U.S. scheme

To bring to heel their Gulf War team,

And keep the doves from breaking rank