Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:16:58 -0500 (EST)
From: Jacques Katz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Student Body President <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Need your thoughts -- Anti-war Resolution

Hi Brian,

I have many thoughts on this issue, but suffice it to say that I am
STRONGLY opposed to Undergraduate Student Senate passing such a
resolution.

Not only is it a waste of time (perhaps more time should be spent
discussing relevant topics like the Tartan's role), but it would also
misrepresent a large number of students (just look at the division's
WITHIN senate itself).  Added to this, I am concerned that, as has
happened on other campuses, an official anti-war resolution and movement
could very easily be co-opted into an anti-Israel movement.  I have
already heard a number of students express the opinion that the war
between the US and Iraq must be due to Israel.  The underlying force of
such an official resolution becomes an anti-Israel and anti-Jewish
motivator.

Jacques

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Student Body President wrote:

> IMPORTANT! This message has been blind-carbon-copied to you.
> Do not reply-to-all or forward it without the author's permission.
>
> Dear Friends and Colleagues,
>
> I write today to ask for your thoughts about a potential anti-war
> resolution from the Undergraduate Student Senate.  Below, I have pasted the
> text of a proposed resolution against a war in Iraq.
>
> Please understand that one's position against a war does not necessarily
> mean that one is in favor of an anti-war resolution.  As you may have read
> in the Tartan, I am against a war in Iraq at this time, but I'm not sure
> debate on an anti-war resolution would be the best use of the Student
> Senate's time and other resources. I strongly believe that there are issues
> on campus facing the undergraduate student body that Senate should address
> before it decides to consider an anti-war resolution.
>
> Furthermore, I don't think there is clear evidence that the undergraduate
> student body supports this resolution or is against a war. Additionally,
> such a divisive stance on behalf of the Student Senate might alienate
> students from this student government.
>
> Please send me your thoughts, whether you agree with me or not. In order
> for me to represent students best, it is important that I hear from
> students.  I look to you and our fellow students for feedback, and I thank
> you in advance for considering this issue.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian

> Brian Namey
> Student Body President
> Carnegie Mellon University
> Home: (412) 862-3624
> Office: (412) 268-3960
> Mobile: (412) 298-4814
> Fax: (412) 268-3935
>

> Opposing United States Military Action Against Iraq
>
> WHEREAS: The UN Charter and customs of international law justify attacking
> a nation only if an armed attack occurs or is imminent, and there is no
> evidence to suggest that Iraq has attacked the United States or will do so
> imminently, and
>
> WHEREAS: A policy of "preventitive" war and "regime change" will likely
> result in a long-term United States military presence and occupation, and
>
> WHEREAS: Military action in Iraq will no doubt result in tremendous
> casualties among the Iraqi people, including civilians, and will displace
> countless people from their homes, and
>
> WHEREAS: Commitment of American troops to Iraq could put in harm's way
> past and future graduates of the Carnegie Mellon, especially those in the
> armed forces or ROTC program, and
>
> WHEREAS: The climate of fear and war hysteria has removed from public
> scrutiny numerous issues of public concern, and
>
> WHEREAS: Conflict with Iraq could spur a backlash against the Arab,
> Arab-American, and Muslim communities of Carnegie Mellon, and
>
> WHEREAS: Fears of domestic terrorism in the United States following 11
> September 2001 have resulted in passage of laws, including the U.S.A.
> [...]

Jacques Katz
Ph.D. Student
Department of Psychology &
Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Ave.
Baker Hall, 455d
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
USA  15213
Tel. (412) 268-8115
Fax. (412) 268-2798

Zionist-Info is a service of ZOA.
Post messages to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message archive is at: www.mail-archive.com
{ NOTE: Please post messages in plain-text ONLY }