---------- Forwarded Message ----------
Date: Friday, June 13, 2003 11:40 AM -0400
From: Marc Levy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Hasbara <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CBC Snubs Jewish Community

To: David Bazay, CBC Ombudsman
Re: CouterSpin Rescheduling Insensitive to Jews

Dear Mr. Bazay,

        It has come to my attention that the CBC Newsworld program counterSpin
will be moving timeslots next season from Wednesday to Friday nights.

        This presents a serious problem for audience members from the Jewish
community who observe the Sabbath every week, beginning Fridays at
sundown.  When this was brought to the attention of a representative of
the program at a recent live taping, sufficient concern for the severity
of this matter was not demonstrated.

        Because counterSpin so frequently debates issues concerning Israel,
including the Israeli-Arab conflict, it defies reason to hold such
debates on a day and at a time that Jews are religiously obligated to
refrain from participating.

        I have been invited to be a member of the counterSpin studio audience on
a number of occasions.  It would be impossible for me to continue to
attend if the show took place on Friday nights.  As much as I appreciate
an opportunity to express my opinion, I am more committed to my religious
obligations than I am to spending an hour with Carol Off.  But, I
shouldn't be forced to choose between the two.

        Therefore, I would respectfully suggest that the program's scheduling be
afforded a great deal more consideration than it appears to have been
given so far.  If counterSpin is going to regularly debate issues of
specific concern to Jews, I trust that you will apply some sensitivity
and move the show to a different day of the week.

Thank You,

Marc Levy
50 Baywood Court
Thornhill, Ontario
L3T 5W3
(905) 881-0539
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

You are currently subscribed to hasbara as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Polina M Vanyukov
Carnegie Mellon University
Porter Hall 208
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
phone: 412.268.3226
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Zionist-Info is a service of ZOA.
Post messages to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Message archive is at: www.mail-archive.com
{ NOTE: Please post messages in plain-text ONLY }