Guys you are just hilarious
I know that it is a very heavy topic but..in the old Jewish traditional
way, it seems that we never miss opportunity to fight with each other.
It is sad...but on the other hand what else can we do? So I laugh
Leo, give us a good joke
Kobi

> I must have missed some discussion... Kate, why do you assume you'll be
> cut off from the list? Your committment to Israel is commendable, and if
> you're really going there to join the army then not one of us can say to
> you a word of reproach. There are right- and left-of center Zionists; the
> last thing we need is further fractioning, which can only weaken our
> cause. I don't get offended when Zionists attack right-wingers because my
> Zionist identity is far stronger than that of a "right-winger". I'm sure
> the same holds for you. Let's remember that we're all Jews (certain
> extreme Orthodox standards notwithstanding), and we're all passionately
> committed to the Israeli cause.
>
> Just my 2 cents,
> -Arie
>
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2003, Kate Zangrilli wrote:
>
>> Just thought I'd put in a word for Leftish Israelis, although I don't
>> agree
>> with them about the terrotories:
>> There is so much hatred in Israel perpetrated by the religious fanatics
>> who
>> draw swastikas on Zionist signs and don't even fight in the army, living
>> while studying Torah on the paycheck of some poor mechanic in Akron.  On
>> the
>> taxes of hard-working Americans like you and me.
>> Israel will lose more and more support should Gush Emumin and the other
>> fanatics institute a theocracy.  Leftish Zionists, like Amos Oz, don't
>> have
>> a racial superiority complex that is anti-humanist.  (Oz)
>> Religious jews can be pro-Israel, but the truth is that while wanna-be
>> Zionists don't actuallly have to pick up arms to serve in the army, real
>> Zionists are dying for something different than a racist theocracy that
>> no
>> Messiah would ever visit. (Oz.). Those on the religious right don't
>> fight
>> for what they believe in.  Polina V. insists that the YZOA is a
>> right-wing
>> organization, and in that case, I'll join the real Zionists when I leave
>> for
>> the army there.  Although I am NOT Jewish by Orthodox standards
>> (although
>> the Torah suggests that differently), I have a right to be a Zionist,
>> like
>> any old-school kibbutzer.
>> I guess you'll cut me off your mailings, which is your loss, but I don't
>> do
>> "right-wing" stuff.  I'm hawkish and passionately committed to the State
>> of
>> Israel, but I'm not about theocracies.  That's what the Left is trying
>> say:  Give us our land; preserve our peace and the right to live without
>> Diaspora, but don't cram your fixations down my throat.  Next time you
>> criticize the left, think of Begin; think of Hertzl, think of any of the
>> powerful Jewish kings of seasons past.  They weren't doves, but they
> [...]

Jacob (Kobi) Wimisberg
Carnegie Mellon University
Department of Social & Decision Sciences
Porter Hall 321
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
Office:    (412) 268-2869
Lab:       (412) 268-4496