I do like the idea mentioned of small to mid-size teams which can split up
and work on needed projects, as long as the teams work efficiently and the
team doesn't slow down the development process.

Has anyone looked at some of the programming methodologies like XP (
http://www.extremeprogramming.org/), it seems to have some good ideas and I
hear it helps to produce well written code in a short time span, although I
haven't used myself.

 "Extreme Programming emphasizes teamwork. Managers, customers, and
developers are all equal partners in a collaborative team. Extreme
Programming implements a simple, yet effective environment enabling teams to
become highly productive. The team self-organizes around the problem to
solve it as efficiently as possible. "

Also it might be worth looking at tools like Mozillas Bespin could be
investigated for our uses as well, which recently added support for
collaborative programming. Or in the mean time we can teach teams help to
use multi-user screen and vim to collaborate by sharing a terminal.

My few cents,

Vince