Hello,

Another of our Free ZNet Updates with information and a commentary, this
time from Cynthia Peters, about organizing and activism.

All kinds of new material have been posted on ZNet since our last free
update mailing, too much to even summarize sensibly other than to say
please visit the site (www.zmag.org) and check the content.

Some nice new top page elements, however, are the featured ZNet article,
featured Z Magazine article, and featured site -- each updated quite
often...for special focus.

But for this mailing, I thought I would note that many users have still
not taken advantage of diverse features beyond the aticles placed online
daily.

For example...

Have you tried our Cartoon Site, recently:
http://zena.secureforum.com/cartoons/  There are over 1300 cartoons by
23 artists searchable by topic and creator.

Or what about the Pen Pals system? There are thousands of biographical
comments from people all over the world -- quite remarkable people, with
very varied backgrounds, ages, interests, etc. You click the name to
write the person. You can search in a varity of ways. It is at
http://www.zmag.org/penpals/

Then there is our Calendar. It is a joint undertaking of ZNet an Protest
Net. It has events listed from around the world (and you can search your
region) and diverse features and capabilities. There are, for example,
forty events listed just for today when I check just before preparing
this update. The Calendar is at http://znet.protest.net/

Or what about our quotes system? Users upload quotations, and we do too,
sometimes. There are over 3500 quotations, all political, searchable by
topics, etc. It is at http://www.zmag.org/quotes/quotesmain.cfm

Then there is the lyrics section. Same idea. Users (and we too,
sometimes) upload political songs and their full lyrics. There are over
1700. It is at
http://zena.secureforum.com/interactive/creative/lyrics_frameset.cfm

There are many other features as well, such as debates, reading lists,
instructionals, and on and on...mostly linked from the top page, if you
give it a look beyond the recent links section.

Finally, we also have a selection of our Sustainer Commentaries linked
from the top page, to give you a feeling for our Sustainer program. The
commentaries now online are from the last few weeks. We send one
commentary a day, every day, to Sustainers and we also put each
commentary up online in our Daily Zine for Sustainers. The commentaries
that are currently linked from the top page are:

Grubacic: Interviewing Adamovsky
Raptis: Report on Salonica
Shiva: Biotech Wars
Pilger: Unravelling Of Tony Blair

The Sustainer program is what pays our bills, and then some. And we
thank those of you who have journeyed to
http://www.zmag.org/Commentaries/donorform.htm and checked out the
offerings, and joined.

Sustainers donate as they are able, on a schedule they choose. Please
consider it.

And here, to make this mailing more substantial, is the promised
commentary from Cynthia Peters -- sent to sustainers last night...

---

ZNet Commentary
Courting the "Middle Class" July 09, 2003 By Cynthia Peters

As we approach election year 2004, it is tempting to lead with the
rallying cry, "Dump Bush." Besides the obvious reasons why it would be
preferable to unseat this frat boy with his finger on the button, many
progressives believe that the slogan appeals to the "middle class."

Who is this middle class that we so often worry about alienating? I'm
afraid it is made up of people who are often not our natural allies, and
who in fact are more invested in maintaining their privilege than other
classes of people who potentially have a lot more to offer to social
change movements, but who we have a pattern of ignoring.

Perhaps we imagine that by hooking our cause to socially acceptable
norms, we will grow. If our message is palatable to the New York Times,
we will get better coverage, and so gain legitimacy. If our movement
resonates with the social-climber professionals, coordinators and
decisionmakers, then they will use their resources and talents to carry
us forward.

In the last couple of years, I have received email notices reminding me
to dress "nicely" for upcoming demonstrations. I have heard mostly white
activists debate dropping a black rap group from an event line-up
because their language might offend "families." And I have heard people
argue that a "Dump Bush" demand is worthwhile because it appeals to
people who "aren't ready" for a more radical message that lays the blame
for war and injustice less on one evil-doer and more on the workings of
society's underlying institutions.

But when we contrive a wardrobe that will appeal to others, eliminate
the edge from our cultural commentary, and demonize the figurehead of
our corporate controlled government, we lose credibility with the people
who know better.

Consider the person I met at a local bar the other night when I was
there with a couple of friends strategizing about how to link local and
national organizing efforts in Boston during next year's Democratic
National Convention.

We got to talking after he bought us all a round of beers for no reason
other than to be friendly. His name was Johnny, and I asked him, "Who do
you think you're going to vote for next year?"

"Vote?!" he said. "I don't bother voting. It's all a pile of shit," he
explained as he play-acted shoveling out manure. "Watch out for that
shit.
You'll need your waders."

We all laughed. He went back to his friends and we went back to our
conversation, with a fresh reminder that although protesting the
national conventions of the major political parties seems like a
reasonable and potentially productive organizing strategy, it's not
going to mean much to people who think the whole thing is a charade to
begin with. Johnny won't be voting and it seems likely he could care
less about protesting the Democrats or anyone else since he thinks the
whole system is a "pile of shit." And he's not alone. About half the
electorate did not bother voting in 2000 -- that's tens of million
people.

It's only anecdotal, but the people I talk to who are most interested in
voting are the people who are most invested in maintaining the status
quo.

The welfare recipients and low-wage workers I teach in adult education
classes believe the "candidates are all the same" and that it makes no
difference who you vote for. They understand oppression as stemming from
the fact that they have to be dependent on abusive men, that they have
to go along with English-only policies at work, that they have to
tolerate bosses who yell at them and give them exceedingly boring and
unfulfilling work and then stand over them telling them to hurry up.
They are overwhelmingly anti-war because they understand that war kills
poor people while it makes rich people richer.

Another patron of the bar was Kevin. He approached us because he noticed
my friend's anti-School of the Americas shirt, which refers to the
Georgia-based military training center as the "School of Assassins."

"I salute you for wearing that shirt," he says. "That place is nothing
but a torture school." He had been drinking, and there was an edge in
his voice as he leaned into us and pointed his finger, "I suppose you'd
say I was an assassin, too. And I am. I've got four confirmed kills," he
said, "and a bunch more unconfirmed ones." He had served in Beirut in
`83 where a bunch of his buddies died in the attack on the embassy. He
served in Panama in
1989 and in the first Gulf War. His voice veered back and forth between
aggression and sadness. It was as if he couldn't decide if he wanted to
pick a fight or share his deepest concerns.

Kevin made what he believes is the supreme sacrifice for his country.
"And it ain't dying," he said. "It's killing."

"Dying is nothing," he tells us, "But the killing.I've got to live with
that my whole life."

"Was it worth it?" I asked. He was silent for a minute. "I don't know,"
he said.

But then the anger returned, this time directed at "Nazi-chusetts" where
we live, and where the Speaker of the House, Thomas Finneran, told the
electorate to shove it when he shelved a referendum on clean elections.
He railed against U.S. imperialism.

In the course of the conversation, there wasn't much that Kevin, Johnny
or I disagreed on, yet there was an enormous gulf between us. "There's
nothing I can do about what's wrong with this country," Kevin said at
one point. "That 's for you people to figure out. You're articulate.
You've been to college."

To state the obvious, Kevin would not be showing up at any anti-Finneran
or anti-war protests - both of which (between my friends and I) we had
devoted years to organizing. Unless we do something radically different
than usual, he won't be coming to the DNC protests either even if some
of the plans were hatched right there in his own neighborhood bar.

This is one of the disconnects that keeps progressive movements on the
margins. My guess is that there are millions of people like the low-wage
workers and the ex-marines who don't need to be enlightened about
injustice.
But very few would have anything to do with current social change
movements, and under most circumstances would keep their distance from
the apparently educated and articulate elite that seem to determine the
anti-establishment agenda.

And I'll be honest. I have probably kept my distance from people like
Johnny and Kevin. I did not go into the bar that night wondering what
the other patrons were thinking about. It wasn't me who bought the round
for everyone.
I'm intimidated by guys in bars who boast about their "kills" on the one
hand, but on the other reveal just how thoroughly chewed up and spit out
they are by a system that recruits them with false promises, uses them
for false pretenses, and then leaves them with no way to rationalize
what they did.

In my isolation from the guys in the bars, I imagine them to have
unattractive views about reproductive rights, affirmative action, and
gay liberation. But I don't know any of this for sure as I have never
asked.

Even if I discovered significant disagreement on issues I really care
about, that should not impede my efforts to build alliances and work in
coalitions with people like Johnny and Kevin. After all, my
disagreements with the engineers of Kevin's fate -- the managers,
bosses, legislators, and assorted other middle-class professionals-- are
at least as significant, yet I am part of an anti-war movement that
never gives up courting them.

There are possibly millions and millions of people whose trust of us
will not climb along with the New York Times's, but in fact is probably
inversely related. We don't need credibility from institutions that
safeguard elite interests. We need credibility from the legions of
people that have already given up on these institutions. Their numbers
are growing. Are we talking to them? More importantly, are we listening?

Cynthia Peters ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) is active in the peace and
justice movement on the neighborhood, regional and national levels. She
teaches in the Worker Education Project at SEIU Local 285.

===================================This message has been brought to you by ZNet