Hello,

 Here is another ZNet Free Update, this time relaying news of Michael Albert's
new book: Remembering Tomorrow: From SDS to Life After Capitalism.  Albert's
new book, a memoir, is available from Seven Stories Press, Amazon.com, etc.
Here is the description of the book from the jacket: "In this candid memoir of
the American Left, veteran anticapitalist activist Michael Albert offers a
characteristically unadorned personal account of recent American movements to
transcend inequality. A uniquely visionary figure, Remembering Tomorrow
recounts a life of uncompromising commitment, whether chronicling the battles
against the Vietnam War and his own political awakening as a member of SDS or
recounting the challenges of creating alternative social models, Albert strikes
a balance between resistance and vision. Reflections on the life of a child of
the sixties and would be physicist cum radical economist, Albert's story is a
lesson in the profound hope that inspires social change." The book includes, in
its 450 pages and 34 chapters, the history of ZNet, Z, South End Press,
Parecon, and much of the left from SDS to the WSF over the past forty years,
including matters of belief, motives, values, organization and structure,
funding, policy, people, and interpersonal relations.   The book page for
Remembering Tomorrow is at http://www.zmag.org/remtom.html and includes the
cover, table of contents, introduction, various comments, links for purchase,
etc. We hope you will visit it! Below we relay some comments by early readers
and below that, Albert's author interview about the book.

 --- Early Comments on Remembering Tomorrow... About the book, Noam Chomsky
writes on the jacket:  "Michael Albert's accomplishments in his life and work
have been truly remarkable.... This lively memoir not only adds new dimensions
to understanding his own perspective and ideas, but also provides revealing and
often surprising insights into the exciting history of the past forty years,
the popular movements and the institutional structures that have sought to
contain and undermine them, their successes and failures, and the prospects for
moving on. It is quite an achievement." Barbara Ehrereich also writes on the
jacket:  "Remembering Tomorrow is the deeply engaging story of Michael Albert's
evolution from frat boy to one of the world's premiere utopian thinkers--not
just a tale of the sixties, it'll be just as relevant in the late 21st
century."  And Howard Zinn, writes, also on the jacket:  "Michael Albert is an
important thinker who takes us beyond radical denunciations and pretentious
analysis to a thoughtful, profound meditation on what a good society can be
like." The book is just out, this being the first public notice, and there
haven't been many readers yet, obviously - though a few people had pre
publication copies and we do have a few comments they have offered for display.
Brian Kelly, a prominent SDS organizer at Pace University and in NYC wrote:
"Remembering Tomorrow provides an incredible array of practical lessons from
the past that we can apply directly to our lives in the present and future. Its
look at the sixties and decades since, addressing culture, political events,
and especially activist organizing, presents history not only honestly, but as
we need it. Its focus on vision and strategy challenges our current over
emphasis on only critique. Its exploration of what type of society we really
want by way of historical examples and experiences is mind altering. Weaving
together issues of sex, gender, race, and class, of what has been and of what
could be, of people and their lives, places and their conflicts, and events and
their implications, all culled from personal experiences, makes for a
wonderfully human book that is also inspiring and edifying. Remembering
Tomorrow is a must read for every young organizer who is serious about
struggling to win. I have read it twice and am going back for a third time!"
Cynthia Peters, Boston Organizer and writer and past staff person at South End
Press wrote:  "Sometimes poetic, sometimes analytical, always provocative,
tenacious, and hopeful, Michael Albert brings his unique understanding of the
past and his fearless vision of the future together in this remarkable memoir.
These are not just the reminiscences of a 60s radical, this is the story of
someone for whom the lessons of the time took root and grew into a lifelong
commitment to create alternative institututions that address the pain of the
oppressive systems that hurt us all. That pain is never far from the surface in
Remembering Tomorrow. (Expect to cry while you read.) But nor is the
hopefulness that a radically better world is possible. (You can expect to feel
that as well.) It is a rare honor and pleasure to get to know this organizer,
thinker, economist, media activist, and true visionary through his deeply felt
reflections on war, patriarchy, classism, and racism -- all emerging through
the lens of someone who has spent the last 40 years on the front lines of
social change work. Read Remembering Tomorrow. You won't emerge unscathed. But
you will emerge with a new sense of the possible and with a set of insights and
lessons that should help us all deal with current realities while pointing
ourselves toward a better future." Brian Dominick, Syracuse activist and
collective member at The Newstandard, wrote:  "What is most significant to me
about Michael Albert's memoir is not its insight into how he formed his radical
worldview, but its insight into how he has maintained, expanded and applied it
in the decades since. Becoming a radical, as Michael insists was true for him
and certainly was for me, is no major feat. More often than not, it just
happens, for many people requiring no extra effort. But resisting social
pressures to surrender one's radicalism -- not just during a life phase but
over a lifetime -- is another matter entirely. For younger people with decades
to go in the development of our beliefs and the application of our own radical
principles, this book is a series of countless lessons in how not to be
overcome with despair, how not to sell out and how to be most effective in
applying one's energies while carving out a workable and fulfilling life. But
Remembering Tomorrow isn't a series of lectures, and it's anything but a
compilation of crotchety observations by a tired dinosaur of the Sixties. It's
a captivating read that even an old friend of Michael's will find filled with
surprising thoughts, encounters and tangents about everything from organizing
and violence to money and personal relations, about people, places, and yes,
even things. If you want or need hope about building movements and institutions
capable of truly revolutionary social change, this is the book for you."Justin
Podur, a Toronto journalist and activist, who volunteers with ZNet, as well,
wrote:  "The institutions we live in, Michael Albert teaches, prevent us from
thinking clearly about what is important. They also prevent us from connecting
with each other. In such a world, our visions of a better future can become
convoluted and disconnected. Michael Albert's life's work has been to present a
case for a vision of a better future that is clear, lucid, and not convoluted.
By giving us the human story out of which that case emerged, he helps us to
connect it - with a history and trajectory of struggle, with the movement that
taught him so much, and with the tradition of ideas that informs his insights
into economic vision and political strategy. I read Remembering Tomorrow for
this, for the stories, and to learn more about ideas and people that influenced
me."Chris Spannos, Editor of AK Press's forthcoming Parecon and the Good
Society and Hope, Reason, and Revolution, and a ZNet Staff Member wrote: "How
do we envision, create, strategize and seize libratory institutions for
libratory outcomes -- ultimately on a societal scale? Sadly, currently social
movements often reinvent the wheel, sometimes not even as well as those who
have come before. We too often overlook lessons of the past. Remembering
Tomorrow provides diverse lessons extrapolated from a breadth of intense
movement experiences combined with a rigorous effort at theorizing vision and
strategy -- in all realms of life. For me, the lynch pin of Albert's memoir was
his decision to become a full time revolutionary, and not a professional
physicist, mathematician, academic economist, professor, social worker, or a
co-opted chemical company hack; all of which would probably have been easier
for him, but a great loss for our Left movements. Albert has been instrumental
in creating South End Press, Z Magazine, and ZNet, and in developing the
Participatory Economic vision. Remembering Tomorrow uses the memoir approach to
navigate from 1960 through 2005. Humorous, moving, revealing, Remembering
Tomorrow is a vehicle conveying empowerment, insight, and inspiration.
Remembering Tomorrow is eloquent, audacious, pugnacious and necessary. We owe
it to ourselves and to our social movements to learn from it and carry its
lessons forward."Andrej Grubacic, anarchist historian wrote: "This gripping
memoir is Michael Albert's gift to the revolutionaries of my own generation.
His writing emerges from his life, one of consistent visionary activism. A
delightful, amusing, shrewd and very perceptive look at American radicalism,
"Remembering Tomorrow" is the first historical perspective on the New Left of
the 60's and the New Left of the contemporary global social movements - and the
links between them. A pleasure to read, "Remembering Tomorrow" is the book from
which much can be learned."-Again, the book page link for Remembering Tomorrow
is http://www.zmag.org/remtom.html  Please visit. ------And here is the ZNet
author interview with Albert, about Remembering Tomorrow...

 Remembering Tomorrow
 ZNet Book Interview
 Michael Albert (1) Can you tell ZNet, please, what your new book, Remembering
Tomorrow, is about? What is it trying to communicate?  Remembering Tomorrow is
not organized in a linear historical flow, as are most memoirs. Instead,
Remembering Tomorrow's main sections and chapters feature broad types of
content such as the Sixties, activist organizing since the Sixties, teaching
and learning experiences, building new media and activist institutions,
international experiences, money and the left, portraits of people I've met and
worked with, music and culture and the left, personal life and the left, and
the ups and downs of creating and advocating vision and strategy.  In the
large, Remembering Tomorrow tries to communicate the intimate characteristics
of dissent, resistance, and building new and better social relations. It
explores what happens in such projects, who is involved, people's choices and
beliefs, and our institutions and movements. Remembering Tomorrow personally
presents left logic, motives, and feelings. Why did we act as we did - both in
the Sixties, and in the decades since? What do we feel about what we have done
and how we have done it? How do others react? It isn't religious, but there is
plenty of revelation.  Remembering Tomorrow highlights organizing and features
consciousness raising. It focuses on activism and demonstrations, on
institution building, writing, and speaking, but also on academia and teaching,
book and magazine publishing, internet and media activism, and developing and
evaluating ideas for movement building.  Organizations from SDS to the WSF and
many in between are prominent. Many individuals pass through the pages, some
notable and others not, some effective and others not. Finances and fund
raising make a substantial appearance, as does left culture and community.
Large scale moral, emotional, social, and intellectual failings and successes
are explored. And Remembering Tomorrow is also about personal daily life
choices including friendships and hostilities, the logic and impact of people's
sexual and career choices, and of movement interpersonal relations. Remembering
Tomorrow is about worries and it is about hopes. (2) Can you tell ZNet
something about writing the book? Where does the content come from? What went
into making the book what it is? I have been author, co-author, or editor of
nearly twenty books, and publisher of over a hundred, but this was the hardest
to complete. Partly I was intimidated by the material. I felt like I couldn't
convey the reality and lessons of the Sixties unless the prose matched the
topic, and trying to attain that was very difficult. Dauntingly, once I got
going, the same held for most other parts of the book as well, for example the
history of South End Press or Z, or describing the process of the development
of the participatory economic vision. In these cases too, not to mention
personal experiences, I wanted to convey the actual feelings and thoughts that
arose along the way, not just the final results.The phrasing and nuance of the
writing, and not just its substance, had to fit the people, ideas, events, and
actions of the times. The tone had to excite readers and also communicate both
the texture and content of the events explored. In short, not just the book's
literary logic, but also its styleistic pacing had to both communicate and
interrogate the ideas relayed. I was intimidated by that stylistic need,
especially regarding the older period called the Sixties. It was also hard  to
remember content from times past, and to reject lots of stories that mattered
to me but didn't present material of more general value. You write a book like
this and for the duration you are dredging up and assessing decades of not
always pleasant events. That made this project much harder than writing a more
analytic work. Books on how to write memoirs tell prospective authors that you
must communicate as a novel does, with texture and detail. They say, if you
don't remember who wore what at the event you are describing, the weather on
the day of the event, who said what to whom at the event, and so on, well then
you should just make it up. This may sound incredible to you - it certainly did
to me - but that is the advice memoirists receive, and it's what memoirists
typically do, too. Books with advice about writing memoirs also say, don't show
a memoir to anyone until after its publication. They say, put in your memoir
everything that is dramatic, leave out anything that isn't, or, better, tweak
it until it is. In other words, books about writing memoirs have lots of
crummy, commercial, self serving, and anti-social advice which memoirists
generally live by. I naturally ignored all that advice. I checked Remembering
Tomorrow's stories with those involved. I didn't make up anything. I included
what I thought had meaning and might resonate usefully. I left out what didn't,
however dramatic it may have been. But, yes, I also tried to write Remembering
Tommorrow congenially, emotively, personally, and of course accessibly. The
book's content comes from the period addressed, nearly half a century. What
went into making Remembering Tomorrow was that history, and everyone involved
in it, and a lot of heartfelt writing and editing that utilized help from many
readers - as is the case with most books. (3) What are your hopes for
Remembering Tomorrow? What do you hope it will contribute or achieve,
politically? Given the effort and aspirations you have for the book, what will
you deem to be a success? What would leave you happy about the whole
undertaking? What would leave you wondering if it was worth all the time and
effort?  Everything I write and do politically has one overarching purpose, to
contribute to efforts to revolutionize society and history. So if the book
contributes to movement growth and to successful struggle I am happy about it.
If it doesn't contribute, then I am sad about it.  I tried to make the accounts
in Remembering Tomorrow instructive about what is wrong with society, what we
might prefer as vision, and how we might attain our aims, but I also tried to
make the book's stories about people, places, institutions, and acts not only
true and accurate, but also engaging, inspiring, tear-jerking, provocative,
instructive, and revealing. I hope the book accomplishes all that sufficiently
to make a difference in how readers think about themselves, about their actions
and choices, and about their aims and methods.  More specifically, Remembering
Tomorrow has three broad audiences who I am most trying to address. First,
there are people of my generation who were once and who may or may not still be
involved with social change. I hope Remembering Tomorrow reawakens or otherwise
strengthens their commitment for justice and their willingness to act
insightfully on it. There are, after all, millions of us. Then there are young
people in high schools, colleges, and at work, who have recently become
politically active, including in the new SDS, for example. I hope Remembering
Tomorrow provides its young readers a useful look at past experiences of the
Sixties and of the decades since. I hope Remembering Tomorrow helps them
navigate the tricky and crucial life choices they face, helping in particular
with the tasks of personal development, consciousness raising, mapping their
futures, and organizing. And then, finally, there are people who who have been
heretofore uninvolved in the left but who are curious about leftists and about
left history,and who wonder who leftists are, what we are about, what we do,
what we feel and think, and the whys and wherefores of it all. I hope
Remembering Tomorrow can give them some answers that will simultaneously
inspire and provoke them, perhaps affecting their choices in coming years.
Judging one's work, whether writing, or organizing, or even just living, is
awfully hard. For example, you travel a long way and give a talk, one time, and
there are ten people there, who listen quietly, ask few questions, and leave.
Another time, you travel similarly and there are a thousand people who react
with great gusto, ask many questions, and seem quite excited. It is tempting,
almost unavoidable, to feel that the first effort was a relative failure and
the second a big success. But what if one of those ten people had a life
altering experience and became the modern day equivalent of Rosa Parks? And
what it, on the other hand, the thousand people, much as they enjoyed your talk
and applauded until their hands were raw, weren't altered by it at all? They
just heard something they liked, which, however, added nothing to their lives.
Now which talk was the success?  I think it is like that with a book too. Do I
want more readers than less? Yes, of course, I do. Do I hope for wide
discussion and debate about the book's contents? Naturally I do. Do I hope that
this book will inspire many people to additionally pick up more detailed works
on parecon? Yes, for sure. But is all that essential for Remembering Tomorrow
to prove itself worth the time expended on it? No, probably not, but as to what
would be decisive in that regard, honestly, I wish I knew. Regarding self
assessment, I generally hope for the best and just keep plugging. I imagine
that will be my reaction to whatever success or lack of success this book has
in the months ahead, too.

http://www.zmag.org/remtom.html