Tim Peters wrote:
[John Belmonte]

Here is the mod_python thread I started on the issue:

    http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2005-March/017663.html

I haven't made any headway on this-- seems like I have a lot more digging
to do.

It is complex.  Note that creating a new interpreter isn't enough by itself
to put you into restricted execution mode; creating a new interpreter is
"just" the most likely way to end with unexpected values in sys.modules and
sys.path.  From there, it's possible too that a function/method object
created in one interpreter ends up being _executed_ in a different
interpreter, and then there's some chance that will end up in restricted
execution mode, and more by accident than by design.  I don't know the
detailed mechanism by which that can by happen, I just know I've read about
it about happening, and believed it at the time.

Is no one out there running a ZEO (3.3.x) app under mod_python 3.1.x?

Not me -- anyone else, please give John a hand here.

Hi,

The consensus on the mod_python mailing list is that this is a bug in Python 2.4 (which was backported to 2.3.5). See <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1163563&group_id=5470&atid=105470>. The other possibility is that both JEP and mod_python are doing something bad and Python 2.4 has exposed it.

--John