Tim Peters wrote:
[Florent Guillaume]

Frankly I don't see the point of using bisect if you do a linear pass on
the list first. The original code was clearer and was faster.

If you had a "natural" way of getting the index, then why not. But anyway
this kind of hook list will have only a few elements in it. Optimize
later.

Optimization isn't the point:  it's the purpose of bisect.insort() to
maintain a sorted list, and trusting a standard library function to do its
documented job is better for long-term reliability and readability than
trying to roll our own inline.

I agree the `index` computation here is overly complicated (in fact, I
believe it's incorrect), but it doesn't need to be.  I'll repair that.

I guess you could simply store and increment then index as an attribute of the transaction, yes.

Florent