In storage.py there's a comment saying that only a few types of pickles for the class descriptions are written, even if more are read. But actually in DB.py there's this code that creates a new root if oid z64 doesn't exist:

            root = PersistentMapping()
            p.dump((root.__class__, None))
            p.dump(root.__getstate__())

This is actually format #5 and according to serialize.py it's not used anymore for writing. I guess the root is an exception.

I haven't checked if just justing p.dump(root.__class__) works but it should.

Florent