On Mar 30, 2007, at 9:27 AM, Sidnei da Silva wrote:

On 3/30/07, Jim Fulton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now my question is, should 'referencesf' load those multi-database
> references, or should they be treated just like the 'weak references',
> by returning None, or should something else happen?

They should be treated as weak references, at least for now.

Would that cause any problem?

No.

Say there's two databases, and the
object in database '1' is the only one referencing some object in
database '2'. Since those references would be treated like weak
references, wouldn't the object in database '2' go away in a 'pack',
thus causing a PosKeyError when loading the object from database '1'
that still points to it?

Yes. That is a limitation of cross-database references.

Note that treating the references differently in a pack can't help this as the references are in the referencing database, not the referenced database.

It would be cool to have:

- A multi-database pack that took multiple databases into account.
  Such a feature is doable, but obviously, non-trivial.

- A non-GC pack that got rid of old records but didn't bother with GC.
This would be advantagious for lots of folks independent of cross- database reference issues.

> Or maybe that
> reference shouldn't be there in the first place?

Where?  There references should certainly be in the data records,
otherwise, cross-database references wouldn't work at all.

Right. I'm wondering how I did end up with a cross-database reference.
Seems like a copy/paste through the ZMI caused it. My question is if
that's expected/correct.

Cross database references are pretty transparent and automatic.

Maybe there should be an option to make them less so.

> This problem is preventing us from packing a database. It just falls
> dead with the KeyError 'n' when packing.

What version of ZODB are you using?

The one included with Zope 2.9.6.

Hm, are you using ZEO?

I'm wondering what sort of release would be needed to help you out.

Jim

Powered!
CTO                             (540) 361-1714
http://www.python.org